Extra guests stayed without letting me know.

Jean47
Level 1
New York, NY

Extra guests stayed without letting me know.

I just hosted a couple - who in their reservation request, stated it was just them coming. we have extra people charge to keep the costs down for single travellers. i usually don't take guests without reviews but he seemed very polite - when they showed up i didn't realize they were college kids. 

i heard many people coming and going (i live in the same building) and the day after i checked them in, 6 of them came out of the apartment. i couldn't tell if they were just friends convening to go to Governor's Ball, or if they stayed over. My husband saw 2 different guys come out very early. it was also clear they were smoking weed in the apartment (smell drifted down the stairwell) even though house rules state absolutely no smoking inside the apartment.

They checked out today, and yes all 3 sets of comforters and bedding were used. i felt and feel uncomfortable asking them if they had extra guests - that would likely affect my review rating, yes? They left the place alright - not clean but not trashed (at least).

What do you suggest I do? I do not like their dishonesty and the fact that they smoked in the apartment.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

5 Replies 5
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Jean47, I suggest you go to the Resolution Centre and request payment for the extra guests.

thank you - i think i will do so.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jean47 did you or your husband personally check out the guests? When I do a checkout  to retrieve the key, I do a walk through under the pretense to make sure nothing has been left behind.  If I saw extra pillows, blankets, etc. pulled out, I would ask the guests why and confront them before they left. (Recently I noticed that my air mattress had been pulled out of the bag.  I asked why and one of the sisters said she wanted to sleep in a separate room because her sister snored!)

I would definitely message (through Airbnb so it's on record) the guests and ask them why all the bedding was used.  See what they say.  If they admit to having more than what they paid for, seek compensation through the Resolution Center.  If they don't admit to extra guests, you can still try to get compensated but it will be their word against yours.  

In your review of them I would say something like "This guest had many friends coming to my listing who were not registered guests and did not follow my house rules forbidding smoking." If you don't already, be sure your House Rules prohibit unregistered guests entering the property and that you have a prohibition against smoking whether weed or tobacco.  Future hosts need to be warned of their behaviour. 

Hope this helps a bit.  Sorry you had this experience!

Thank you for your advice, Clare!

Tammy110
Level 4
Belleville, Canada

I am having a similar experiance this weekend. Guest booked 2 adults for 2 nights, but we saw 3 coming out of the suite this morning and back in again later in the evening. We could definitely hear voices of more than 2 people in the suite (we live above the suite). I called Airbnb (as I am a newbie Aibnb host) to see what was the best way to deal with this. They asked if I wanted them out or if I just wanted compensation for the extra guest. I said all I wanted was the extra compensation (as per my reservation rules). They said to message the guest and ask for the compensation. So, I did just that.....stating we were aware that there was an extra guest staying with them and that there would be an extra charge for the extra person. The guest was usually very prompt at replying to messages, however, this time not so. It has been almost 4 hours, and I have not heard a word back from the guest. During that time, I smelt something weird (burning) coming from the rental suite, and shortly there after, they left. I went down to inspect what the burning smell was (afraid something might be on fire) and found there was a big hookah pipe on the coffee table, obviously recently used, with a lighter right beside it, along with all kinds of styrofoam containers of half eaten foods and half glasses of wine. Every light was on in the suite (even though I have a reminder note on the door to turn all the lights off when leaving the suite), plus the TV and  fireplace were left on. This is a total disregard for my house rules... notably... "absolutely no smoking indoors", "no visitors or extra overnight guests" and "please turn off lights before going out".

I don't know yet if I am going to escalate this issue, but I will let you know how it turns out. The kicker is that this guest had 2 perfect reviews from other hosts. I will not do the same, as I do not want some other host ending up with this guest thinking they are a 5 star acceptable guest!!!!