False and very negative reviews

Kris2524
Level 1
Kelowna, Canada

False and very negative reviews

Guest stayed one month, damaged ceramic cooktop which I didn’t report yet.

they left me a review of complete utter lies and I did not leave any review but ABB posted theirs anyways.

have now left a “reply “ to their review disputing their complete utter lies. 
have called ABB to request removal. They say they can’t remove someone’s opinion and they refer to all the other glowing reviews and say it’s not going to hurt me.I have asked for this case to be escalated and they said in a couple of days someone from their escalation team will contact me.any tips? It’s a grossly in accurate complete lie of a review.and how did Airbnb post their review without me also completing a review of the guest???

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kris2524if one of the parties doesn't write a review, the other review will be posted after 14 days.

Airbnb will remove the review only in a few cases - if someone mentions resolution dispute or Airbnb involvements, or if it is a racist comment or offensive

The only weapon we have is to reply to guest's comments and to write our comment of the guest

No. They won't. I had a guest stay a month and damage a desk top. She clearly had emotional issues as well, mostly involving her hatred of everyone (her own words) and her gross immaturity. To get out of her responsibility and because she has a lot of hatred, she fabricated that I was a Nazi and skinhead sympathizer; we never, ever, at any time spoke about any such thing or anything remotely connected to come up with such libel. The comment isn't live yet and they said political comments would be deleted. But then they came  back and said they would leave it. It boggles the brain that they would allow a guest to leave such filth because it's her "opinion," which they claim she has a right to state. I said not if it is completely and utterly fabricated. The only option is to remove my listing, which is what I will do as soon as I receive the payment for the damage. I'll be looking at competitor websites instead since I can only rent six months at a time now anyway. Oh, and she also stated that I had told her the house had been broken into several times. My home has never been broken into and I never made any such comment! This is ridiculous! Who is running the show at AIRBNB!

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kris2524 it was not a nice review.

Other guests will doubtless see it as an outlier.

I would perhaps have replied more briefly than you did, but you made a good point that they should have raised issues with you as they arose.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kris2524 Sorry this happened to you but if you read the Help articles on the Airbnb site re reviews, it's very clear that all reviews are published after 14 days regardless of whether both parties review or not. I don't know where users get the erroneous idea that they are only published if both leave a review, but many seem to be under that impression for some reason. And it's very important to leave reviews of guests to warn other hosts if this is a problematic guest or if they are wonderful and deserve to be welcomed. 

Don't hold your breath waiting for Airbnb to contact you or you'll die of oxygen deprivation.

I hate it that they tell hosts a bad review won't hurt them because they have so many other good reviews. As far as the written reviews are concerned, that's likely true- potential guests will see that one bad review among lots of good ones as an outlier and dismiss it, but if the nasty guest gave a low rating, that can certainly damage a host's standing.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kris2524 

I read the review and Your answer. Kris, what really happened between You and Your guest?

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Kris2524, is this the review in question?

The basic requirement for an Air BnB is cleanliness, and this place failed miserably. When we moved in, the surfaces were grimy as if they hadn't been wiped. Windowsills and tops of shelves and under tables/the bed were caked with dust and cobwebs. The fridge was full of very mouldy food (yogurt, bread, cottage cheese) or food that expired months ago. The bathroom has mould (shower curtain is black at the bottom), and the shower head needs to be cleaned of limescale. The bathroom has an awful, musty water damaged smell - as does the cupboard in the kitchen where all the pots/pans/bowls etc. are kept - obvious water damage, perhaps from that idyllic little stream out back. Most of the utensils and kitchen ware were dirty and had to be washed before use. But the worst part of it all: the sheets hadn't been changed or washed. They smelt horribly of sweat and dirt, which we originally attributed to the bed itself, but once we had had enough and washed the sheets ourselves, we realized that they had not, in fact, been washed for our arrival. We were staying for a whole month, so didn't have much in the way of choice when we discovered how dirty the place was. We cleaned up and notified Kris of the mouldy food in the fridge, as our first attempt to see what her reaction was - she blamed it on the housekeeper and told me I could throw it away. From this, we gathered she didn't really care or feel any responsibility for the state of the place, so we just cleaned it all ourselves. Also, the country cottage feel is actually more of a "down by the docks" feel, as we were warned of "ne'er do wells" upon arrival by Kris, and actually saw someone jump the fence one day. Doesn't help that people often walk through the space, whether they know Kris or not is unsure. Yes the little stream is pretty, as are the deer that sometimes graze out back....but none of this makes up for the state of the "cottage" which we renamed The House That Funk Built. Sorry Kris, but you really need to give that place a good hard scrub.

In most of your other reviews, guests stated specifically that the place was 'clean,' so either this person is outright lying, particularly with moldy food in the fridge, etc, or your new housekeeper is to blame. I see in your response that you said there was a new housekeeper. I am not questioning you, but is it possible that the new housekeeper didn't do his/her job?