Filthy bathroom, how to ask guest for payment

Olly1063
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Filthy bathroom, how to ask guest for payment

Hi, my cleaner reported that the guest checking out left the bathroom (specifically the toilet) in such a bad state that they needed biohazard equipment to clear up. The cleaner has, quite rightly, charged me extra. How do you recommend I approach the guest politely asking them to cover the extra charge, bearing in mind that a review hasn't yet been left?

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is always a risk that if you raise an issue with a guest re damage/additional payment they will leave you a negative review.

The mind boggles as to what the guest did during their stay that would necessitate the cleaning service needing 'bio-hazard equipment' to clean the bathroom.

What sort of reviews did this guest have previously.

Presumably you have photo's/video's from your cleaning company. If you want to pursue just contact the guest with evidence and remain calm and professional, provided them with the additional bill from the cleaning company and ask him to pay.

Leave an honest review.

Olly1063
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen, I won't go into too much detail! Unfortunately this was a new (but trusted) cleaner who forgot to take photos and the guest didn't have previous reviews.

I'll do as you recommend and leave a polite message.

@Olly1063  Not to suggest anything bad about your new-but-trusted cleaner, but I wonder how often cleaners pad out the bill by reporting worse messes to remote hosts than the guests are actually leaving. 

You never want to pursue a claim for compensation without hard evidence on your side to submit in a dispute, so I think you're better off letting this one go. I wouldn't even say anything specific in the review, if I didn't see the awful sights for myself. Make sure the cleaner's normal pay and time allotment allows for unexpected messes, and ask them to supply time stamped photos and receipts for your records if they intend to bill you for extra services in the future. 

That's really useful advice, thank you

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did the cleaner flag this with you at the time and ask for your agreement to do additional work? Surely this would have been the time to remind her to take photo's/video. It would seem almost unbelievable in a situation like this they wouldn't have recorded evidence of the alleged addition requirements. 

Chris2003
Level 3
Tenby, United Kingdom

I had a guest use the bath as a toilet once.. It was disgusting. I didn't message the guest because whilst the place was messy, they didn't actually damage anything. I left them a terrible review.. and straight away they left me a 5 star review. If it looked like they 'enjoyed themselves', then i'd be tempted to leave a review first.

If the cleaner didn't charge you much, i'd leave it be to be honest.