First ever guest, can't get in touch

Irene308
Level 4
Kindersley, Canada

First ever guest, can't get in touch

My first guests are expected to arrive from the US tomorrow for 10 days. I've tried emailing, messaging and calling but I can't get any response. It being St. Patrick's Day here in Ireland tomorrow, I don't want to hang around all day. I had flexible booking on this which I've no changed for future bookings in my settings, but I'm worried I'll lose my 10 days. Any one any advice? Thank you! 

8 Replies 8
Marco821
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Irene,

Okay, I'm going to assume a few things.  

1. First, that you knew it that the date the Americans were arriving was St. Patrick's Day. That being said, how were you planning on dealing with their arrival anyway? Do you have a lock box like many Hosts do? If not, then you're kind of on the hook to wait for them to arrive, all day if need be, unfortunately.
  2. I'm assuming that you have their MONEY. Whether you can reach them or not, if you've got their funds, again, you're on the hook to wait on them and honor your booking.
  3. Assuming you've got Guinness and Jameson in your household like any respectable Irish family and you can conjour up a dozen friends, you make your own 'welcome' party for the Yanks.  🙂

Best of Luck to you.  Slainte` from the Baltimore Irish.

Hahaha... Yes to most of That!!! I don't mind the waiting around, just I'd like to have an approximate time. I reached out again and still no response so I'm hoping they'll just rock up in true Irish style tomorrow! I actually bought a lock box yesterday but haven't installed it yet, next on my to-do list. I guess I'm just super organised when it comes to travelling and staying places and would always triple confirm everything! Lesson: Others do not do what you would do!! Do I have to refund them if they don't show? 

Loads of Guinness and definitely loads of whiskey, not sure I'd be up for much Sunday if I jumped head first in to that though... 

And she just messaged me ... YEAH!!!!! 

@Marco821   No, the host does not have the guests' money. Airbnb holds all guest payments until the day the guest checks in, at which time it is "released". And then, it takes several days to a week or more before the money gets transferred to the host's choice of payment options. A lot of guests are under the mistaken impression that the host gets paid as soon as the guests' booking is accepted.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Your check-in time is 3PM - 7PM, @Irene308, so imho you will have to hang around only 4 hours. Not a minute more if guests do not understand how Airbnb hosts function. 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Irene308

They are on their way - if they are on their way from the US, they may be inside an aircraft and not able to use their phone or other devices for communicating.

Did you not ask them for their travel plans, flight number etc ?  It is always best to establish these facts well in advance. If they are touring Europe like so many from the US, best to get all info to them and from them before they depart from the US.

The only thing you can do now is try to contact them repeatedly, hoping they will switch their phone on.  I always ask my guests to switch their phone on the minute they land so that we can get in touch should there be any travel disruptions.  It is also an idea to monitor the airport page to look for delays, but then you need to know their flight number. If you know where they are arriving from, you could do an educated guess.  Many long hauls land in the morning, and then you can estimate how long they need to drive from the airport.  

Thanks for the responses. I emailed straight back after they booked three weeks ago giving them local info and asking for details. I emailed a week and a half ago, yesterday and again today. I phoned the number and it's not ringing. I forwarded on the Google Pin for sat nav and loads of other stuff, but haven't heard a peek from them. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Irene308

Wow, that sounds a bit extreme.  Perhaps get in touch with airbnb and ask them to assist. They usually have some alternative numbers.  

I have come across guests travelling with a phone number different from the one in their profile, so now I always ask them to confirm.

Good luck and happy St. Patrick's.