First guest issues

Karen159
Level 2
Oakleigh, Australia

First guest issues

Hi All

My first guest has just left and I'm wondering if this behaviour is 'normal' on Airbnb?

Booked for 1 but all 4 beds were used

cigarette butts found despite a no smoking policy

the oven was left on

the back door was left unlocked

dirty dishes left in the sink (even though the property has a dishwasher)

Clearly, I need to be absolutely crystal clear as to my expectations and I put up my hand and note thay I have not yet fully completed my house rules. 

Do you think I should retain some of the bond?  If I do I am concerned about a retaliaitory bad feedback.

Not sure what to do? 

Any suggestions?

5 Replies 5
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Not normal, dreadful behaviour. You need to charge for the extra guests if that is how you have set up your system. If it says ''extra guests no charge'' then you can't.

Sometimes guests book for 1 but really mean 2, as in one couple. Or one bed.

I often find the back door unlocked, reasonably normal. I find dirty dishes in the sink maybe one in 20 bookings. Oven on? Bad. Often heaters and lights are still on. All these things is why it is imperative to go and clean as soon as guests have checked out.

I allow smoking outside so I often find cigarette butts, but in the ashtray provided...

In your feedback I would definitely say something like ''The amount of guests stayed didn't match the number who booked.'' This is not nasty but matter of fact and future hosts will be alerted to you being less than happy with the guests, or that they had a party, or whatever. Just don't say ''Lovely guests'' or we will think all systems are go!

Better luck with the next guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would definitely contact BnB and let them know what has happened as said if you charge for extra guests, then you can ask them about recovering the charges. Also highlight the safety issues - oven left on and door left unlocked.

In your review be factual but clear mention that one guest booked but four stayed, oven left one, dirty dishes and door left unlocked.

The only thing I would approach AirBnB is for the extra people, everything else is a learning experience. BTW, this is first class #1 pig behavior, by any standards, by this guest.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

You don't charge for extra guests, so there's really nothing you can do.  Given that the guest has paid for all 4 beds, if he/she chooses to play Goldilocks and sample each one, you've really got no redress.

BTW, having your street address as the listing title could be interpreted as an attempt to communicate off platform and you risk being shut down.   You should also consider filling in your profile.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Louise0, @Karen159, I had to go into the listing to see your title. Yup, address used. Sincerely go with Louise's advice and remove it, it is asking for trouble.

The very last thing you want is for guests to see your address until they have paid. And not just paid, but paid through the system.