First timer AIRbnb

Leysa0
Level 1
Marion, IN

First timer AIRbnb

Hi! My husband and I found a rental online that seemed almost too good to be true.  The host has no reviews, but just joined this month, so makes sense but we have never rented through this platform before, so I am the ultimate skeptic.  If it's too good to be true, it probably is.  And do we have to interact with the owners of the property?  Based on the descrption they are out of state, but we are on a family trip and have no desire to socialize with the owners.  I know that sounds bad, but it's true.  LOL....I am just trying to get a feel for other people's experiences before we commit to renting the property.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer this "Nervous Nelly".

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Leysa0,

You can ask the host some questions first by using the "contact host" textlink on the listing.

It is not obliged to socialize with the host, but if there are shared spaces, there allways will be some interaction. But if they are not there, you have all freedom.

Why is the listing " too good to be true" ?

best regards,

Emiel

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Leysa0 

If they ask you to pay outside the platform or ask you to do correspondance outside the airbnb messages, it is most likely a scam.  If they offer direct booking, this would not be a concern.

If there is a photo asking you to inquire to an e-mail address, it is a scam.

The platform is quite complex, a new host might not be up to date with the pricing.  

Leysa0
Level 1
Marion, IN

Thank you!  That helps a lot.  Yes, they haven't asked us to do anything shady.  It's just a beautiful property for a very reasonable price. 

Leysa0
Level 1
Marion, IN

Lots of square footage for the same price or less than a hotel.  I did reach out to the owners and they responded in detail, which put me at ease.  Thank you for your input!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Leysa0  Often new hosts will have very attractive pricing to get the first guests, since they have no reviews yet. I actually think it's a good idea to message hosts of any property you're interested in, even if it's possible to Instant Book. It can give you a feel for the host and the situation, and either set your mind at ease, as it's done for you, or send up some red flags that prompt you to search for alternatives.