Forgot cash at an apartment in Italy and they didnt return it to me

Forgot cash at an apartment in Italy and they didnt return it to me

As a guest, I made a mistake and left a large sum of cash in my room under the pillow. When we moved out, in a hurry I forgot about the money and returned after 25 mins to get them. Maid and the owners wife were already there but insist they havent seen or taken anything. The owner was a really nice guy from the start, and he let me look around and I can tell he really tried to help. Whats your view of this situation? Do you think maid is lying? Can I resolve this through a dispute? What should I do here? Its was a lot of cash and I am 100% sure I left the money there.

7 Replies 7

@Sandra5093   No, lost cash is unfortunately not a thing you can claim for in a dispute. If it were, wouldn't everyone just pretend that they left huge wads of money under their pillow? Even travel insurance won't cover lost money unless it was physically on your person or locked inside a safe. 

All you can do is hope that your expensive mistake was a lucky day for someone who probably needed it even more than you did. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Sandra5093 Unfortunately, nothing can be done. It’s a he-say, she-say situation and a hard lesson to learn. Traveling with a large sum of cash is never a good idea for obvious reasons—getting robbed or misplacing it. In the future, please travel with credit cards or travelers cheques. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sandra5093 was the pillow still there Sandra ? Most hosts only deal with cleaners who are scrupulously honest because they make their money from accommodation , not from stealing from guests. H

@Helen744  It would be stealing if the housekeeper took the guest's property during an interim cleaning while the stay is in progress. But once the stay is over and the room has been vacated, any money left there is basically a tip. 

@Anonymous Ha ha

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sandra5093  well someone is either lying or mistaken. The problem for you is that you can't prove the money was left there.  All I can say is that if you stayed with an established host with good reviews it would be extremely unlikely that the host/her cleaner would have stolen your money.

I would suggest going forward you don't travel with large amounts of cash you hide under a pillow. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

"When we moved out..."

That's the thing it could have been anyone and could have been missing before you realized. 

Sorry this happened it sucks when people steal. You may not ever find out who did it. Odds are its someone you know. You will move on and it won't matter.