Fraud Possibility

Answered!
Mark130
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Fraud Possibility

Hi, I received this message from "Peter" and want to ask for advice.

"Mark, I emailed a request for a 2 week booking at your place. I need to talk to you. Can I have your number for me to call you? My name is xxxxx xxxxxx(not the same as Peter). My cell: (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) I live in Toronto Canada"

Shall I just deny or report it? and how?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would stick to the messaging system on Air. Phone numbers are only exchanged at the point of having secured a booking. Tell him that, and ask how you may assist regarding his possible booking. He might just be an anxious guest, or an extremely slow typist???

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would stick to the messaging system on Air. Phone numbers are only exchanged at the point of having secured a booking. Tell him that, and ask how you may assist regarding his possible booking. He might just be an anxious guest, or an extremely slow typist???

You should flag this member. Possible scammer.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi, it is against Airbnb policy to exchange personal information including contact numbers prior to a confirmed booking as such if you send messages containing such information, Airbnb block those details. This is for the safety of both the guest and the host also if you have any issues down the line, you might loss the backing of Airbnb if you have breached their policy.

I don't necessarily think it is a fraud, some people prefer to communicate by phone and he may just not be aware of the policy or then again, he might be but trying to get around it, who know but best to play safe. 

I'm assuming he has sent you a reservation request or enquiry. I would respond thanking home for his interest and informing him that Airbnb only release personal information once a booking is confirmed. However pending a confirmation, you are happy to answer any questions he has via the Airbnb platform and ask if there is anything in particular he would like to know.

It is important to note that should you or the guest have any issues down the line and required assistance from  Airbnb, that Airbnb only accept communication seen on their platform, they do not accept text messages, WhatsApp, personal e-mail etc. as evidence of communication.

All the best,

Ama

I too would just explain that it is against Airbnb policy to contact out of the airbnb platform.
I have had this before and some people just are not aware of it.
I had it last June for a 6 week booking for $500USD per night, now most people would take that as a scam as it seems too good to be true..... no it wasnt and the booking was completed and paid for. It was a US Military contrator who had never done this type of thing before.
I would just say the above and if you dont hear anything back then you have lost nothing... 🙂

Thank you very much, the only thing that puzzles me is that his name is different. This makes me believe that his intentions are questionable or it's a spam and I'm afraid to post a message.

Thank you!!

Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

Hello @Mark130,

I agree to all other comments previously posted, but have to add one more thing: as per airbnb policy third party bookings are not allowed, I would ask the guest, why he is not the same person as the account owner. Most airbnb members don't read the entire terms & conditions and are not aware of this fact, same as they don't know about any personal information only will be displayed after the reservation finally has been processd.

So I would kindly explain this to him and hopefully he understands and starts communication through the airbnb messaging system.

I appreciate your reply, thank you!

Maria561
Level 2
Sandton, South Africa

Hi
I have a listing on Airbnb but I've just received a confirmation for my email from Airbnb by someone called Ceri who has obviously found my email on my property on another website and is trying to list it on Airbnb under her name.
I don't know how else to notify Airbnb of this other than this platform.
On receipt of a confirmation email to open a new account - the Airbnb system should ask whether this is in fact you that has requested the confirmation. I don't know why the system didn't pick up that the email already exists. Best Regards
Shauna9
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I receive messages like this about twice a week. Airbnb gets hacked a lot so be aware of 'fake guests' or timewasters.

Jacqueline88
Level 1
Miramar, FL

Request looks like....

My Name Is XXX   (many names/same rhetoric)

I Came To South Florida For A Presentation I Am Giving In XXX  For My XXX Business. I Was Originally Going To Check Into A Hotel But A Friend Recommended I Should Use Airbnb. I Was Looking For Houses In The XXX Area And Came Across Your Home And Became Interested Due To The Fact That Your Home Has A Nice Backyard Where I Can Relax Have A Drink Alone And Relief Stress And Also The Nice Size Pool You Have.I Am Very Interested In Your Home And Would Like To Book For Today I Am Currently Staying With A Friend Of Mine And Would Love To Check In Today

Watch out for...

#1   want to check in today

#2 i  n the city for a meeting and staying with friends/family  - friend recommended I try airbnb

#3 only "ME" needing to relax 

Its credit card fraud, i filed a police report but to no avail (yet)

Fraud verifications.   I was asked to download my drivers license and Airbnb emailed me informing me I may have been comprimised.  Did anyone else have this happen to them?

Don45
Level 1
Capital District, Venezuela

Hello, I need some help in a similar matter. 

I found a listing in an other rent Website and the host told me she whats to seal the deal using Airbnb. so she sends me a link so i do the purches and all but it seans king of sketchy. I really like the apartment, but i need to be sure. 

http://airbnb . com-rents.eu/booking/listing/5eb6c3/?rent=1484755632?s=eRGFZrin

Please help. Thanks

That is not an AirBnB site.

David