From a host: HELLLP!!!! I'm panicking...obviously!

Answered!
Nedrra0
Level 2
Volcano, HI

From a host: HELLLP!!!! I'm panicking...obviously!

It is 12:15pm, new guests are scheduled to checkin 'as early as 3pm' and I've just discovered that my water catchment tank has collapsed and my 18,000 gallons of water is GONE, and I don't know what to do! This is a major address. There is no 'fixing' this. We will have to arrange to buy a new catchment tank, it may take as long as 2 weeks (we live in the rainforest on the Big Island of Hawaii). I have guests scheduled, and I have maintained a 5 Star Rating for what is our 3rd year.

What options might I have in terms of our guests? Am I responsible for securing new reservations for them? Do I need to reimburse them the full amount --I have a 'strict' cancellation policy (NOT that I am resisting reimbursing them, but I would like to know what the norm is). 

Meanwhile, I'm trying to reach somebody to drive out to us to address the catchment issue itself.

Please help with any guidance. Thank you.

1 Best Answer
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

This is what in AirBnB lingo is called Extenuating Circumstances.

Contact AirBnB and advise them of the situation and the booking you will not be able to host and they will arrange alternative accomodation at no penalty to you.

They will probably ask for evidence, photo of the collapsed tank should do it.

Main issue seems to be that you do  not know how long it will be before you are back in business and how far ahead you need guest to be relocated.

David

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

This is what in AirBnB lingo is called Extenuating Circumstances.

Contact AirBnB and advise them of the situation and the booking you will not be able to host and they will arrange alternative accomodation at no penalty to you.

They will probably ask for evidence, photo of the collapsed tank should do it.

Main issue seems to be that you do  not know how long it will be before you are back in business and how far ahead you need guest to be relocated.

David

May you win whatever lottery you decide to gamble on in the next 24 hours!!!!!!! Thank you for your reply. Do you know how to reach them? I haven't checked yet, but the Community link is what I saw when I went to the Help page.

Nedrra0
Level 2
Volcano, HI

Update: Airbnb replied a few hours after my post to the Community, with an assigned case manager.

Her name is Cynthia. We corresponded multiple times via email. She also reached out to my guest who was scheduled to check in the same day and refunded all her money.

Because resolution of my issue (replacing my old 18,000 gallon water catchment with a new one) is going to take until the end of this week, she cancelled my next guest that was due to check in tomorrow, actually.

I sent her pics to document the sad state of what was left of my old water catchment and Cynthia sent word back that that was good enough for them and Airbnb would not penalize me.

So that's the gist of it all. Lots of stress, running around, calling many merchants, driving to the bank because various merchants wanted cash with short notice and emergency priority status, emails to Airbnb, responses to two concerned separate Airbnb guests, and...lots and lots of money going out in a way we did not plan.

Airbnb 'help' was great, although a couple worrisome hours when I didn't realize that my case manager was not replying to my emails because she had already clocked out for the day. But she did respond. And she had my back. And, that was very comforting. To myself, my husband and to my two Airbnb guests who needed new places to stay.

Thank you, community for your support and your guidance.

Thank you, Airbnb for having my back.