Full Time Travel: A man, his dog and Airbnb...

Timothy30
Level 3
Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala

Full Time Travel: A man, his dog and Airbnb...

Hi...

I live in Seattle. I live in a stunning one bedroom apartment right next to Pike Place Market, with floor to ceiling views of the Puget Sound on one side and the City on the other. But recently, they upped my rent, and as I contemplated signing the new lease, I started to wonder...what else could I do with that significant amount of money? I work from home...the vast majority of my work is done through the internet and my phone. So...enter Airbnb.

On Jan. 4th, Rialto (my dog) and I fly out to Mexico. We'll spend a couple of months on the West coast, we then spend a month in Mexico City, and are currently looking for the next place to book for all of August; perhaps San Miguel de Allende, or perhaps we'll fly to Costa Rica.

We are going full-time on the road. And oddly enough, even with travel and other expenses, I am going to save a significant amount of money travelling full-time compared to the rent I pay in Seattle. 

Any other full-time travelers out there? 

Tim & Rialto

IMG_1151.JPG

14 Replies 14
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Timothy30 I don't know any full time travelers personally, but at the LA Open Airbnb gave me this book about two seniors who have been travelling for years on Airbnb.  The book is called Your Keys, Our Home and is a great read.  Wish all hosts and guests would read it.  

Check out their website: http://www.beseniornomads.com/

Have fun in your travels!  🙂

Timothy30
Level 3

Thanks @Clare. Just downloaded to my kindle. Will be a good read to accompany me on the beginning of my journey.

Hi Timothy, what a cool journey!

I think that younger people in the US are feeling more mobile in general, less likely to even buy houses of cars for a variety of economic and social reasons.

In that mode, there is an organization that gathers up a cohort of mostly 20 something people who work online for different companies. They committ to a year of working from a different place each month. The org gets them lodging with good internet in a different place each month from Latin America to Thailand and they move as a group, all while working remotely for their separate companies. Think of the Study Abroab programs from college but for adults.

Good luck on your exciting journey!

Timothy30
Level 3

Thanks Bridget and Mark; we're almost neighbors, I'm in Seattle, for two more weeks at least. I grew up in Issaquah. What's the name of that organization? I'd like to read more about them.

---

P.S. There's an error in my original post, and I guess the edit function disappears at some point? I said "currently looking for the next place to book for all of August" when I meant to say "April."

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Timothy30,

It is fantastic to hear about your trip and your life change. By now I believe you will be on the road, exploring the West Coast of Mexico. I hope you are enjoying your first couple of week. 

How are you finding it so far? As it has only been a couple of weeks, does it kind of feel like you are just on holiday at the moment? 

It would be lovely to hear more about your venture, so please do share here if you can. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Timothy30
Level 3

Hi @Lizzie...thanks for asking! Yes...I am now two weeks in. As it happens, I have just published my webpage to track our progress. Take a look here: 

Tim & Rialto: A man. A dog. In motion.

sr_logo.pngSo much to document still; it's taken the first couple of weeks to get our feet under us. We've already been in and out of our first Airbnb, and are now in our second. So far, I've been invited to two parties by local people. This current Airbnb is in a much smaller town, and I feel much more part of a community. So far it's great!

Rialto has had three sessions with a trainer we hired here, and that's going well.

I had my first Airbnb cancellation for our next location. Yikes! 🙂 It was a brief one, only 4 days, so hopefully we'll find a replacement soon!

I'm going to add a link to this thread on my web site so that my viewers there might particpate on this thread as well.

More to come. Cheers!

Tim & Rialto

IMG_7627 (1).jpg

Timothy30
Level 3

Hi @Lizzie...

I had posted an earlier reply and now it's gone. Hmmm 🙂

Thanks for asking! As it happens, yesterday I published our new web page to track our journey!

Tim & Rialto: A man. A Dog. In motion.

sr_logo.png

We are in our 2nd Airbnb now. We've actually done well to escape the feeling of just bieng on holiday. It helped to hire a local dog trainer for Rialto, who he's met three times now. Also, both of our Airbnb's have been in neighborhoods and away from tourist hotspots. 

Also, the two Hosts so far have been great! Really helpful, and I've been invited to two parties/bbq's by locals already.

So, we're off!

Tim & Rialto

IMG_7627 (1).jpg

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

If your ever in Australia, your very welcome here. Good Luck

Timothy30
Level 3

Thanks! We may just get there. It's a big world with lots of places to go. 🙂

Clarissa14
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I did a trip kind of like that in 2012. I sold my house in D.C. and put everything in storage, and took off on what I planned to be a one-year roadtrip. I drove around the northeast U.S. and into Canada and hit about 20 cities (mostly at Airbnbs), but three months into the trip I met someone and ended getting married. So that ended the roadtrip, which was a little disappointing, but only a little. I was in my late 30s at the time, and certainly wasn't expecting to (or trying to) get married. Life is full of surprises. Luckily I still get to travel a lot. Good luck on the rest of your travels! I will check out your blog.

Timothy30
Level 3

Ha! I get it. That's one of my fears, actually! I'd rather meet someone who's willing and ready to continue the journey with me. 😉

Hey @Timothy30

How's your travels going? It looks like you've been going for quite some time now! My wife and I are in a similar situation, currently traveling the US and are actually getting paid to do so via our blog and social media! 

What do you do for remote work? We are looking for more ideas!

Thanks,

Austin & Brittany

Endlesscation

Joanne237
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Timothy! Are you still doing the full-time AirBnb thing? Curious, bcse I’ve been living VanLife for a while now, with a friend. But getting ready to become an AieBnb Nomad. so I am wondering who else is out there doing it. Hope this finds you and Rialto well! Cheers!

~Joanne

Lydia-Jane0
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

I'm getting my first AirBNB guests in two weeks, in San Miguel de Allende - I should have all the kinks worked out by the time you're ready to come, so let me know!  Lydia Jane