Getting Started - how you guys get your first listing ?

Answered!
Jessica1551
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Getting Started - how you guys get your first listing ?

Hi there,

Try to start my first listing. Just want to get an idea how you find your first listing ? Is it better through Real Estate agents ? How you find your cleaning team  ?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Most people list rooms in their own home or a second home that they own apart from the large scale property management companies.

If you want to buy an investment property @Jessica1551  you will need to do your market research on which areas will work best for your target market and check any legislation relevant to STRs before you buy and make sure you have a back up plan for covering the mortgage if you aren't able to cover it through STRs

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Most people list rooms in their own home or a second home that they own apart from the large scale property management companies.

If you want to buy an investment property @Jessica1551  you will need to do your market research on which areas will work best for your target market and check any legislation relevant to STRs before you buy and make sure you have a back up plan for covering the mortgage if you aren't able to cover it through STRs

Jessica1551
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Hi Helen, I use my LLC to do airbnb, and use airbnb as a platform, i am taking guests not tenants, that is not sub-listing. but question is agents do not understand that and hard to got to landlord.  Jess 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

sorry you are incorrect @Jessica1551  if you rent to guests through a short term listing you absolutely are sub-letting. 

Jessica1551
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Hi Helen, thank you for your answer.  I am going to rent an apartment to do it, i've asked my lawer , she said will be okay if i pay all the tax, but the problem now is: should i find apartments through real estate agents?  they are not really understanding what i am doing now, or i have a better way? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If your lawyer is telling you this, I would suggest they don't have a very good understanding of either property law or planning regulations 🙂 @Jessica1551 

What about local planning regulations for STRs, business licenses and tenancy clauses preventing sub letting?

Most landlords (myself included) have clauses that prevent tenants from sub-letting rooms in the place they are renting.  It doesn't matter whether you go through estate agents or find your prospective  tenancy through other means this will still be an issue for you.

There seems to be a growing number of so called expert hosts and others who promote their training courses and books advocating becoming a host through renting somewhere, when the reality is that unless you have a personal connection or find a hard to rent place this is unlikely.

If you want to get into the game, why not offer your services as a co-host while you build up resources to buy somewhere.

that is exactly what i want to do but the site isnt recording my info so i cant continue

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica1551  Listing on Airbnb is indeed subletting- calling them guests or tenants is just semantics. You would definitely have to be upfront with the landlord about listing the place on Airbnb and there aren't many landlords who will approve of it. You wouldn't be the first renter who got evicted and ordered to pay the landlord the profits you'd made by Airbnbing without permission.