Getting started

Benjamin455
Level 2
Riverside, CA

Getting started

Hello everyone,

I have kind of an odd question. So I've decided that I want to purchase a property and start listing a room or the entire home on Airbnb. While doing some research of my area, I found that one of the houses I really want to put in an offer for is currently listed on Airbnb with current reservations. I was wondering if it would be inappropriate or come off strange if I messaged the host to inquire about the house being on the market as well as some insight on running the Airbnb business? I would really love to pick someone's brain regarding the reservations/occupancy/property management etc and maybe get a mentor in the process but dont want to come off too aggressive. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Benjamin455  I would imagine if you showed interest in this property, the seller would probably start telling you all about the profit you could make from Airbnbing it, unbidden. It would be a selling point.

Just be aware that a listing can't be transferred to a new owner. You would have to start a new listing for it yourself. Any booked guests would have to be contacted and informed that the property was changing hands and offered the option of cancelling or keeping the dates, but having Airbnb transfer the reservation to the new owner and listing (this would be the sellers responsibility).

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm still super new so I'm trying to get as much information as I can before moving foward. 

Catherine577
Level 3
Memphis, TN

just start doing your research about managing a property. there's alot to learn. no one could possibly give you a short synapsis on managing a property on Airbnb. We all just read alot. the internet has tons of resources on renting. good luck, and beware of anyone saying that you'll make tons of money starting out. 

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Research everything. Check the rates being charged by other hosts in the area. Look at their calendars and see how booked they actually are. Airbnb is now a juggernaut  of a company, like a huge impersonal monster. As it grows, nightly rates are being eroded, there is much more competition and there is a new breed of guests who expect a lot. They can be exceptionally entitled and demanding. Check also as there are many new laws and restrictions being introduced by different cities and states in many countries, limiting how many nights per year you can actually host. This is going to get worse as the powerful hotel lobby are sick of us hosts getting a cut of the pie. Good luck