Greek Renting Law

Answered!
Mohammad71
Level 2
Montpellier, France

Greek Renting Law

Hello everyone,

Although this is not directly related to AirBnB, but I have a question. I am an expatriate living in Athens and about to sign a contract to rent a furnished apartment in Athens. The contract duration will be 2 years. Although I have no prior intention to leave the house before the end of the lease, what if I had to leave the apartment before the end of the 2 years contract ? for an emergency reason or work just let me go and I have to leave Greece ! what does the law says about such cases ?

Thanks,

Mohammad Ajlouni

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Mohammad71 

No-one here can answer your question. The answer is it depends on the terms of your lease.

Look through it and see if there is a notice period you can give if you need to leave.

Is the lease renewed annually/ six monthly within the two year period?

If you just leave, they could pursue you for the rent due for the rest of the lease, depending on where you go to, would depend on how easy it might be to recover their money.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Mohammad71 

No-one here can answer your question. The answer is it depends on the terms of your lease.

Look through it and see if there is a notice period you can give if you need to leave.

Is the lease renewed annually/ six monthly within the two year period?

If you just leave, they could pursue you for the rent due for the rest of the lease, depending on where you go to, would depend on how easy it might be to recover their money.

Hi Helen. Actually the contract does not say specifically anything. only says if tenant decides to leave before the end of contract , will be treated as per the Law!

The contract says duration is two years and rent is paid monthly. it says rent contract after the two years is not automatically renewd unless both parties agrees in writing.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Then you would need to know what the law is @Mohammad71 

As you say this is not the right forum to be asking for advice on Greek long term property leases.

Why not post on a consumer forum in Greece.

Or look up the relevant legislation for the sort of lease you have been issued.