Guest canceled reservation and host is penalized

Linda337
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Guest canceled reservation and host is penalized

Hi All.

We JUST started with ABB in December and have been doing very well.  

Problem:

1)  The other day, someone booked (IB) and it was for a date that was not available.  There was a very friendly misunderstanding between us.  The rez was for 4 months out.  The timing was just coincidental that the calendar was being updated while she was making the rez.  So, she cancelled.  VERY nice.  NO problems between us.  Now, of course, ABB is threatening all sorts of dings.

2) Today, we had our guest arrive and he decided not to stay.  We have had flooding rains where we live.  The ground is soaked and can be difficult in spots.  He has a wife in a wheelchair.  We do not advertise as handicapped accessible but we do have a ramp and he and I did discuss the width of the doors and if it was okay to roll the wheelchair around on the wood floors.  (This was after he booked.)  So ... the arrival ... he felt it was just not going to work out for his situation.  He didn't want to carry his wife to the ramp as he said his back was already hurting, etc.  Again ... all of this was very friendly with no problems between us.  Just an unexpected situation.

Now ... what can/should I do?  Obviously, he will put this up as a cancellation.  I'm not going to do it.  I'm skeert of the ABB Poe-leece!!

Suggestions?  Help?  Thanks so much.

~linda

11 Replies 11

Hi Linda,

Im also new to ABB and today while i was confirming an email for booking someone (IB) those days. Should I contact the person who IB and let them know the issue and ask them if they can cancel or should i just cancel so my confirmed  reservation can book? DID ABB block your days after you had a similar sisuation or not?

Clearly, I am not the one to ask about ABB procedures.  😉  So far, I have not been blocked but there are ominous statements coming my way.  I'm sure it will get sorted out.  You can see my additional comments below.

Good luck!!!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda337

1/  Hi...If a guest cancels, then you are not penalised.

However, it sounds like you were asked to cancel (as you had not updated your calendar) and in this instance you will be penalised. As you are a new host you should contact AirBnB and explain what happend and see if they will let you off.  All that AirBnB can see is a cancellation, they do not know what you and your guest discussed.

2/ It is up to your guest to cancel as they did not wish to stay. In this instance, once the guest has cancelled, your cancellation policy will come into effect. You can then decide if you wish to refund the guest money as they were not able to use your property for good reasons. 

1/  Hi...If a guest cancels, then you are not penalised.

I see.  That is what I thought but then I got something that implied I needed to respond.

>However, it sounds like you were asked to cancel (as you had not updated your calendar) and in this instance you will be penalised. As you are a new host you should contact AirBnB and explain what happend and see if they will let you off.  All that AirBnB can see is a cancellation, they do not know what you and your guest discussed.

Thank you.  I will try to get in touch with them about this.  I am certainly willing to take the hit on this particular situation b/c of my own newbie status.

>2/ It is up to your guest to cancel as they did not wish to stay. In this instance, once the guest has cancelled, your cancellation policy will come into effect. You can then decide if you wish to refund the guest money as they were not able to use your property for good reasons. 

I do not wish for either of these people to forfeit any monies.  The first one I'll say is on me.  The one today ... well, I suppose "technically" but there were also extraordinary circumstances with our (seriously) flooding rains.  I will have to give some thought to how to frame a cancellation policy.  Right now, it says "flexible".

Thank you again for your input.  It is very helpful to have someone take the time to explain some of this stuff.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Please, please, please read and understand how AirBnb works BEFORE listing. You have fallen into the trap of cancelling and are now bg punished accordingly. I really think AirBnb should have a test before new hosts list to avoid these issues. In the end I feel sorry for guests who get mucked around more so than newby hosts. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If there are extenuating circumstances then the the guest can contact AirBnB,cancel and get a full refund including their fees.

David

David, thank you for your information.  I never had any intention of these guests not receiving a refund.  In fact, I was willing to pay whatever service fee necessary from my end.  I am certainly learning but I am not sure what to do about the Instant Booking thing.  I see that many people have concerns and/or problems with it.  Two friends with listing on ABB do not use IB.  I will have to give this some thought.  As I'm sure you are aware, ABB is pretty aggressive in their suggestion to use it.  😉  Thanks again.

I use it, well within 3 days they have to contact me, but that usually is more to make sure I do not have last minute booking where I have made other arrangements.

Most of my bookings are 1 to 3 nights and many have never used AirBnB before, and for me I am not sure if I could have spotted the very few odd situations I have had in advance.

For whatever reason I seem to be getting many more shortnotice bookings, a portracted exchange is not that practical.

But that is me, you need todo what works best for you.

David

Hey David.

Thanks again for the input.

So ... I like the contact within 3 days.  So far, I have some really nice conversations from the get-go.  But ... if they don't contact you within the 3 days? Or, if they do and you are not comfortable with them?  

Thanks for your help.

Outside 3 days they can instant book, inside 3 days they have to ask.

I have never not approved someone for being uncomfortable, a couple of times really short notice and I was not ready, or I had gone shopping whatever and was going to be back late or they wanted to come well after my check in time.

My definition of uncomfortable would not include those reasons.

David

Hi David --

I am sorry ... I've not seen the option of them contacting me within 3 days thing.  Is that a requirement *you* added?  If so, great idea.  I just get a text and email that tells me a booking is confirmed.  

I'm not anticipating the feeling-uncomfortable thing.  BUT ... for example, this last person was bringing someone in a wheelchair.  We have pictures for the entrance (there is a ramp).  We do not advertise as handicapped equipped, by the way.  He asked me if it was okay to roll a wheelchair around on the hardwood floors.  I said of course.  I also had my husband measure the doorways and sent him that info.  The point is ... in this case, it might have been prudent to discourage the booking?  (The guest made the decision and there are plenty of pictures to show exactly what is available.)

We run horsemanship clinics at our place (bunkhouse, etc) and have for many years.  We have been very successful at this and very fortunate even with all the odd things that peepz pop out with.  LOL  Anyway,I really appreciate you sharing your expertise with me.