Guest cancellation - a quick summary

Guest cancellation - a quick summary

A few days ago, a guest who had been bookeed for some time contacted me to say that she wished to cancell her booking.  I advised her to contact Air BnB in the first instance.   

When Air BnB eventually contacted me to say that she wished to cancel and wanted a full refund despite my 'strict'cancellation policy, I inmmediately wrote to Air BnB stipulating that I wanted them to adher to my strict policy and said that I would only consider offering a larger refund if I was able to re-book some or all of the cancelled dates.

Despite this Air BnB went ahead and gave the cancelling guest a full refund.  When I complained about this, citing my previous correspondence, they told me that the case was closed and that I would have to submit a new ticket.  I did this, and was then told that the matter would be referrd to Case Manager concerned who would contact me in due course.

I was not contacted by the Case Manager, but around mid-day today I received an E-mail from Air BnB to say that if they did not hear from me they would assume thhat the matter had been settled and would close the case.  I replied to say that the matter had not ben resolved and that I wanted the case to be kept open.

I still have not been contacted by the case Manager,  but this evening I again received an e-mail from Air BnB informing me thaat a a review of the case had taken place, and having considered the evidence that was submittes, a decision has been made to uphold the Case Manager's decision to give a full refund to the cancelling gusest and that the case was now closed.

Well, you can just imagine my consternation and stupefaction at this unfair and unjust situation.  Of, course, I want to appeal and complain but where do I go.  Air BnB has been the decision-maker, judge and jury and there does not seem to be any impartial arbitration or appeal proces to whom I can appeal.

Has anyone had a similar eperience and what did you do?

This community is great and supportive - please help.

Yvonne 

4 Replies 4
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Yvonne32 I'm sorry to hear what happened. Do you by any chance know whether it's under an extenuating circumstances? I had a similar situation before and Airbnb also refund the guest. I was hurt and disappointed. What I did was to fight the case the best I could. Then they said that it was final. So, I meditate and believe that what goes around come around. I know it sounds like BS, but I tried my best to solve the issue and was being ignored by ABB.

Hello Farah,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your experience.

This guest gave absolutely no reasons for her cancellation so there were no extenuating circumstances that I know of, and why she decided to overide my request is a complete mystery, as they have not even had the decency to offer an explanation for their actions.  

Like you, I feel very angry and hurt, but I am also horrified at the high-handedness and lack of accountability being demonstrated by Air BnB.  

I will continue trying to take the matter further, but it is clear that they believe that they can act with impunity in matters like this.

Thank you for your support.

Yvonne

@Yvonne32 best wishes for you!

Hello Farah,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your experience.

This guest gave absolutely no reasons for her cancellation so there were no extenuating circumstances that I know of, and why she decided to overide my request is a complete mystery, as they have not even had the decency to offer an explanation for their actions.  

Like you, I feel very angry and hurt, but I am also horrified at the high-handedness and lack of accountability being demonstrated by Air BnB.  

I will continue trying to take the matter further, but it is clear that they believe that they can act with impunity in matters like this.

Thank you for your support.

Yvonne