Guest cancelled

Sharmin0
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Guest cancelled

I've been operating a my second Airbnb in Chicago since November. Like all it has it's ups and down. In February I accepted guests who violated my policy and subsequently has put my place in the cross hairs of the town home association. Since then due to sanctions by the association and avoiding other potential issues I've replied back to all potential renters/guests that the use of rooftop deck is prohibited and that if asked they are my guests and not Airbnb renters. This is always done prior to me accepting their booking. There has never been a problem and I've operated successfully.
Six weeks ago a gentleman who lives close by wanted to rent my place for his father and sister. As customary when I first reply I state the rules to him and he complied. Also we discussed him wanting to modify dates along with potential discount. I complied. During that time, which was about 3 days, I had several other inquiries and a booking for that coveted Fourth of July timing. However, since I'd already engaged with him when his booking finally came through I accepted. Once again in my acceptance I reiterate the policies and request their email so I can send them details for checkin approximately a week prior to arrival date.
Last week I forwarded checkin instructions after reading him for his email. The day and time of check in - since checkin can and usually happens without me being present since its "automated"-I send him a welcome text to his phone at 3:40 to make sure all was well. No reply. Around 10pm he texts me and ask if there is any negotiations on using the rooftop deck and I explained no- but said I will have a talk with the association to see if there was leeway. This morning I woke up to a cancellation of the reservation stating that he had trouble accessing the key and that he did not feel comfortable 'sneaking' around the association and that he would like to be fully refunded.
I'm disappointed because I've clearly indicated the situation from the outset. We were texting, if you really wanted to access this home you would've called me not go through Airbnb site at midnight which is likely over an hour after you presumably tried to access home. Furthermore, I have turned away countless others who wanted this home.
What would you think is fair, if any, refund? I have a strict policy so no refund will be sent unless I modify.
5 Replies 5
Debi4
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Its not your problem. He decided to cancel and he must be accountable for his choices.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would not refund in this instance - you were very clear upfront and he accepted the conditions

John220
Level 2
Leamington, Canada

I agree with others, especially since you turned away others. If not for that fact, you might want to consider some lenience. (I emphasize 'consider', not automatically 'give'.) Some people think they can just do as they please no matter what the agreement is and no matter what they themselves have decided. I'm a person who believes a handshake (in any form) is worth a lot and when someone violates that trust, I take it very seriously. So, nail the pri__. He's clearly imposing his irresponsibility and untrustworthiness on you.

Jerry17
Level 4
Bayside, CA

I have been doing Airbnb for our studio/loft over our detached garage for almost 2 years.  I have had a few cancellations - a couple of them have been either a day or two before or the day of.  I always approve the full refund because I don't want money for something I didn't earn.  

I understand that even a "day of" cancellation is now money I don't get, but I guess I rationalize that by admitting to the fact that I get quite a few "day of" reservations - more than the cancellations - so I figure it evens out.

I had one reservation that asked for a refund after spending the night because they couldn't get connected to the WiFi when they got there in the evening.  I was not in town and was texting with them about it, but there was no immediate solution.  The Wifi was coming through an "extender" from my house and it just needed to be reset.

The reason they gave for asking for the refund was their entire stay was ruined because they couldn't connect to the WiFi so they could plan their next day itinerary.

When it became evident "I" couldn't fix the Wifi, I had suggested to them they could go up the street to the small coffee cafe, which has free WiFi and great coffee, pastries, lights breakfast offerings, and opened at 7:30am - a 5 minute walk up the street - plenty of time to make your plans for the day- plus I give out a 5$ coupon for the cafe because I don't offer food.

I get a message from them at noon the next day asking for the refund because they had had to go to a Starbucks to get WiFi?

I just responded "no", thanked them for the stay and never heard back.

I would have said no anyway because I don't feel not having WiFi was a "life or death" situation.  We live small town on the north coast of california and WiFi/cell reception can be sketchy at times.  I have had to use my phone "hotspot" in my own house when the local cable company's service was on the fritz.

I felt I did not owe them anything because I had provided them with the basics - clean, safe, warm, comfortable place to spend the night ( they said they should have just saved the money and spent the night in their car?).  Well, that is all well and good, but where are you going to go to the bathroom and take a shower when you are sleeping in your car - if you find a place in an area where the local authorities are always on the lookout for people sleeping in their cars.

And, I figured they were not in that big of a rush to get to a place with WiFi because the nearest Starbucks is 10 miles in either direction and not easy to find, unless you know where you are going and they were sending this message at noon of the next day, when they could just as easily have gotten up early, walked up the road 100 yds., had a good organic breakfast and cup of locally roasted and ground coffee without all the corporate hype of a chain coffee place - all of which they choose to ignore - their loss.

So, refunds can be good karma - stuff happens to people, but when they do it to themselves and then try to blame the "host" for a problem of their own making - that's on them.

Sir madam I have booked a apartment in rimini as pnr 9ENHNY
From 20 july to 31st July but when we went there no body there and no apartment booking please help up we paid all amount and now we are with out home this is on big chitting I contact also police but the host run away no body there