Guest cancels, could they've booked two and cancelled the less favourable one?

Newyn0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Guest cancels, could they've booked two and cancelled the less favourable one?

Hi everyone, 

I've been hosting for several years and came across a bigger issue now.

Recently, I've had two bookings in a row and both of them cancelled their reservation on the day of arrival.

The first one arrived and her reason was that the house was too open and her child is sensitive to mosquitoes and is already under antibiotics.
The pictures clearly show the house is very open, furthermore, the house is located in the Caribbean. Of course, there are many mosquitoes, that should be obvious and she should have done her research if her child is this sensitive to insects.

The second one sent a picture of a dead insect on the floor (in the living area which is all open to the garden- no windows at all) and one from the fridge which is a little rusty at the very bottom from the sea salt and the high humidity there

The second guests have cancelled upon arrival at 5 pm and somehow found another place, which I doubt they managed to find last minute which is quite hard over there! They even threatened me to refund the $156 that wasn't given back by Airbnb automatically, otherwise, they will write a review

I am unsure how to proceed with the second booking and also am wondering if both bookings did not book two places at once, looked at both and then choose the place they prefered

My cancellation policy was moderate and I had to change it to strict now because of that. It's impossible to make a booking the same week if the calendar is re-opened after the cancellation. Furthermore, I feel like the strict policy also hugely limits the number of bookings I get

Please can someone let me know if a double booking is possible and it could have been the case here, and what I can do about these booking cancellations, huge losses are made from that

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hello @Newyn0 

The Airbnb Service fee is refundable up to 3 times per year, if the reservation you’re canceling doesn't overlap with another reservation in your account.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1345/is-the-airbnb-service-fee-refundable

If a reservation is canceled (by the host, guest or Airbnb) 24 hours before check-in or after check-in, both parties may write a review.

You can receive fewer reservations with Strict terms, but depending on your financial requirements, you can not be lost, sometimes it is safer but less. 😉

Have a great summer!

Ramona