Guest having problems with odor in house

Ólöf-Melkorka0
Level 1
Torrevieja, Spain

Guest having problems with odor in house

We have a new build - apartment. Guest came yesterday and the woman smelled cloack smell. I offered to find them a new accomodation and they decided to wait with that for a day. We called in a plumber to locate the problem. Plumber found nothing wrong. Husband of the wife does not smell a cloack. My husband not. We are situated in Spain and the groundwater and riol does smell different. 

I offered to relocate the guest to another place and pay the difference. The woman was very drunk. I stayed calm and explained to them that the most important thing was that they were comfortable and would enjoy their holidays. However, the woman became very annoying, angry and I could not reason with her. She threatened with writing how owful our house is.

I have found another place for them from Monday.

I am somewhat lost here about what to do. My rule nr 1, guest is the king.

4 Replies 4
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Ólöf-Melkorka0   Sounds like you went above and beyond by helping find them a new place. I'd say you've done your part and hopefully they won't be an issue for the remainder of their stay with you! Good luck! 

I can only learn from this. Thank you Kaylee. It is good to be able to ventilate on this forum. 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Hmmmmm.....

Lessee.    

While I and many other hosts try to do as much as we reasonably can for guests,    I think many of use would find the situation you describe,  with a drunken guest,    highly annoying or inappropriate,    depending on the House Rules we set.

My time is valuable and,  depending on my read on the situation,  I might not bend over backwards to help-- it really depends on what you think is reasonable and where you draw boundaries.

Let me tell you about an incident that happened about a year ago.

I had two guests who came for the University of Chicago's reunions.    The room had been booked by a woman,  but two guys showed up-- one of them the woman's husband.

Now,  you may not be aware,   but a lot of drinking can go on at college reunions in the US.    As in,  binge drinking.

About 3am,  I was wakened by these two guys,  who were having a bit of a noisy tiff.    I went down the rear stairwell to see what was going on,   smelling cigarette smoke (no smoking area) on the way.

Both guys were a little inebriated.   The husband claimed he smelled gas in the room-- it's an old house with gas appliances-- and had headaches,  that this was dangerous,   etc-- the other guy claimed he didn't smell anything,   and all I smelled was cigarette smoke.

They finally left,    and evidently called Airbnb to demand a refund,  which I flatly refused under the circumstances.    (ABB's CS was very helpful and 100% supportive,  that time).

Now,  under different circumstances I might be more sympathetic about such a thing.   If the person who booked was there,  and his/her spouse was being a bit of a jerk to him/her,   I might give some slack.

But ultimately,  you have to decide how much interruption and disruption you're willing to accept in your life,   for what compensation.    I've decided "very little" is my answer,  and take a variety of steps,   including more careful pre-screening of guests,   to insure that.

Today's request:  two 19-year olds from Iceland coming for a concert,   just signed up for Airbnb,  not even ID verified,  oh my.   Perhaps they will manage to convince me,  but generally,   I run a study hall for professors,  visiting scholars and grad students and the occasional professional in the area.   Two drunk 19 year olds who are partying,   is just not likely to work well,  and the potential for disaster (losing sleep) is high.

Hope that helps you in determining where your boundaries lie,  how you handle such difficult incidents,  and what policies and communications you put in place.

Thank you for you wake up call abt setting boundaries.