Guest profile picture

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Guest profile picture

We all know the guest profile picture can not been seen until reservation is confirmed. But there are some ways for a "work around"..

I found at least 3, which give me opportunity to see in many cases the guest picture before accepting. I am not going to share them all three, as Airbnb will say "thank you" and correct the glitch.

But here is one of them:

Open the guest profile. If the guest has reviews, the guest probably wrote one also. Goto a host profile the guest was reviewed by and look up the guest. If found you see the small picture of the guest ! click right, choose "view image", and you see the normal sized image.

Kind regards,

Emiel

15 Replies 15
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

Everybody knows this and it's been written extensively.

So what's your other two secrets?

@Alon1 

@Emiel1  wrote:

"I am not going to share them all three, as Airbnb will say "thank you" and correct the glitch."

You're asking for an answer we all already know.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

I know!

But I found it a bit of a joke, and  so was attempting to inject a bit of humour. That's all.

@Alon1 

Thanks for the explanation. You are right.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alon1  @Ute42 

The second one is related to the first one, but feel free to find out yourself, as probably @Alon1 will write again  "everybody knows it". Think of a place on the platform, within your account,  where the requesting guest can also appear, but with picture. The third one is rather technical, as you need to know how to read HTML source code. BTW i am not that interested in profile pictures, it's just funny to watch the hide and seek game.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 @Ute42 

Thank you for reply and more detailed explanation than I (and evidently Ute as well) expected you to divulge.

I would just explain that I quipped about your first example because it's self-evident to  Hosts who are in the habit to cross reference Reviews. I've ritually done it from day one.

I've not gone beyond this first example as I'm not technically minded so I certainly wouldn't repeat 'everybody knows it' re 2nd & 3rd. 

I much prefer to view Guest Profile photo, but have adapted to deal with Enquirers without it.

The adaptation hasn't been difficult as anyway I've never placed 100% faith in Reviews. 

I have also never subscribed to IB as a live-in host, and am in the habit of screening Guests to my satisfaction. Most of it via the exchanges between us.

My conversion rate of Enquiries to Bookings over 6 years of hosting has remained remarkably stable at about 35%. I turn down about 1/3rd and the other 1/3rd decide not to book elsewhere.

In short, my decision making hasn't changed profoundly. I'm just a bit more cautious if I can't see a face.

It's a normal human response.

Lastly, Airbnb of course are wholly inconsistent in blanking Guest photo prior to booking, while Host profile is visible to Guests prior to booking.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

With all due respect @Emiel1 

I believe that anyone can not help asking this question! 

Why are you very concerned with guests pictures?
The diference between a bunch of flower (like the ones you have on your profile) and no face photo is almost the same.

It seems to me that you do not practice what you preach! 🙂

Elaine385
Level 1
Rexburg, ID

Why is seeing a picture relavent?     My husband and I host a facebook group with a large following.  We "screen" those who ask to join the group in an attempt to weed out those dishonest individuls who use the platform to scam others.  Most of these insdividuals  have created a fake profile . The quickest way to discern a fake profile is with the lack of picture and persoal information. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be honest @Emiel1  I really have no interest in what a guest looks like before they book.

Also I use IB so with about 90 percent of the bookings, I see as as soon as the guest books, so the change in not seeing a guest photo until they book makes little difference to me.

I have to say it is rather ironic/hypcritical that you and other hosts who chose to not upload a photo of yourselves on your own profile,  express concerns about not seeing guest photos before they book.

I am not concerned at all about seeing pictures of guest before booking and I fully understand why Airbnb did that. What I am concerned about that many times I see only a picture of the person who made the booking. I usually request a picture of a second guest (my max accommodation) and state that I reserve the right to cancel the reservation if I will not get it before their arrival. This is time confusing, annoys me and probably my guests as well, but I feel like I need that extra security protection for my place, especially because it is 100% self check-in.   Just want to see what other hosts do in that respect and would appreciate some feedback.

Francesca302
Level 1
Kuching, Malaysia

But, even when the guests confirmed with their booking their profile picture are still not show.  i have 3 booking confirmed for July and there are no picture show on their profile.   3 weeks ago, i was surprise to receive a German guest, who is totally so dirty and messy.  Because i am not able to see his profile picture, i just accept the reservation at the last minute.  He stayed for 2 nights, and i don't extended his stay because he talked alot of nonsence.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Francesca302 

It doesn't seem you are aware that you can make profile photo obligatory for booking your listings.

On your Dashboard:

Click LISTINGS

Scroll down to  'Guest requirement'  

1st Requirement PHOTO. [Tick ]

If you do this only Guests with profile photo can complete a booking.

@Francesca302, so you are saying that if you had seen a photo of this guest, you would have been able to tell that he talked a lot and was messy?

MikeandMavi0
Level 2
New York, NY

Well, It is not really fair to us not to see guest's picture! AIRBNB says they are NOT  running hotel business however if you dont show the guest's profile picture to the host's, it becomes a hotel booking! They see my picture and all about my listing! We are hosting them in our homes so we should have right to know who the guest is before giving approval. In case of any safety problem, i wont call bnb, i will have to call 911.