Guest profile

Answered!
Eileen119
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Guest profile

What if the guest who turns up is clearly not the person on the guest's profile?

1 Best Answer
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Eileen119

That would depend if the guest is on a business trip or not.

Click the link for details who-can-book-trips-on-behalf-of-someone-else

For personal travel it should be the person who booked that stay's, Tricky situation, how do you throw them out ? you could let it go and in the review of the guest give them a thumbs down for allowing a 3rd party booking on the account.

I get quite a few 3rd party bookings for granny or aunty and so long as I know I don't mind, I should point out that 3rd party bookings will void airbnbs host insurance, but its rubbish insurance so I have my own.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Eileen119

That would depend if the guest is on a business trip or not.

Click the link for details who-can-book-trips-on-behalf-of-someone-else

For personal travel it should be the person who booked that stay's, Tricky situation, how do you throw them out ? you could let it go and in the review of the guest give them a thumbs down for allowing a 3rd party booking on the account.

I get quite a few 3rd party bookings for granny or aunty and so long as I know I don't mind, I should point out that 3rd party bookings will void airbnbs host insurance, but its rubbish insurance so I have my own.

Mike78
Level 3
Colorado Springs, CO

Twice I have had a guest appear (non-business) who was clearly NOT the person who booked. Although they were not trouble to deal with, I ended up finding out some disturbing things about them.  I reported them to AirBNB with great detail in what is now the 'Help' section AFTER their stay (as I said they were no trouble while here).

I added to my house rules 'Government Id required upon check-in', and remind potential guests of this upon inquiry.  I have not had this problem since, and have even turned on instant-book.  We shall see as time goes by though.  Always be careful.

Eileen119
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Many thanks Mike. I think your additional house rule is a good idea and I'll do that. The guest profile doesn't even provide a proper name so I don't see how government ID could have been provided to Airb&b in the first place, unless it's a company name. For now, instant book will be turned off. I'm very new to hosting and although this guest, like yours, was no trouble, I feel very uncomfortable with the situation. Pity, as previous guests were great and I hope they return one day.

Many people use Registration Cards as ABB do not share information with Hosts, if you do so mention that you do in your listing.

David

Thank you David. Registration cards are a good idea. I've turned off instant book now too. Emails can say a lot. I'm wiser now.  Eileen

Bohdan4
Level 2
Brentwood Bay, Canada

I just had to change my settings and approve any bookings manual, within 24 hours, as a couple of my guests, have no profile, although Government ID and no reviews, virtually their profiles are blank. It is disappointing to discover that we spend time on review quests, however it seems unfair that AirBnB have no mechanism in place to ensure that we at least receive some information on quests who book through us. AirBnB is quick to hold us accountable when we cancel or make changes on our settings, but they provide no support in terms of accountabilty requirements for clients to have an account. Any thoughts of how to address ghost clients who book your AirBnB. Thanks, Bohdan

I have found the similar; guests showing they have been a member for 3+ years but there are no reviews and no personal information.  I'd like to see profiles of their guests as well but can't seem to find that option.

Many thanks Jeff. I was not aware that this was a 3rd party booking and have specified that all guests must meet Airb&b's ID requirements. This seems to mean that in spite of this, anyone can turn up. I'm new to hosting and this concerns me. I don't even have the full name of the guest and can't say for sure whether or not this was a business trip, although he was smartly dressed so this is a possibility.

Brian493
Level 5
Dayton, OH

The guest's profile is changing in the USA. Have you noticed that you all? I have been hosting for more than two years. The guest used to be polite and respectful. The guest started acting like booking.com or hotel customers. I have got also lots of scam people with no profile pic and ID. Why Airbnb does not enforce ID requirement. I know It is optional. Not requiring ID, just another way to invite fake account, and criminal people to our community.

Airbnb must enforce the ID. Otherwise, we are losing our community at the speed of light. Airbnb is not the same as used to be. Most of my guest are thinking they are the boss these days.

Hi Brian,

Was wondering if you have experienced "teenagers" booking your space.  I have a guest coming and her profile and facebook page appear to be high school!  If so, how do I address this with Airbnb?

Thanks!

Barbara

Mandy3
Level 6
Falkland, Canada

These people are coming and staying in my home, and sharing my bathroom.  They see my profile photo and many photos of my home before they decide to book my room.  I will not be booking anyone that does not provide me a photo of them FIRST.  Then I will consider their smile when I decide if I want to meet them in the hall in the middle of the night.  This is a new change - not showing their profile photo until AFTER I accept their request.  I will not condone this new policy.  And I certainly won't Instantly Book someone!  This is my home for crying out loud!  I'm a woman over 50 who lives alone in a village of less than 200 homes.  How about some safety for the hosts? 

Maggie10
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Hi - newly verified guests dont seem to have to provide a photo or information about themselves. I realise that this can take some time(?!), but I would like to have an identification photo, and a bit about their interests etc. and where they live. I agree with you that this is rather important and should be a statutory obligation in the verification process before people can book.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Maggie10 

You can tick the box in your listing that you only accept guests who provide a photo.

You can also set IB or house rules asking for vetting information that guests need to provide you with.

As I have mentioned on other threads here, sometimes you need to chase guests to get them to provide you with the information.

Lee-Anna0
Level 2
Oak Island, NC

I would feel safer if the profile picture was of the person, not their dog or a flower, etc. Uber has better rules in place and the Uber driver doesn't have to share their home.