Guest rarely leaves the house.

Betty-Ann0
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest rarely leaves the house.

My ad states for people here on vacation; work; or short term internships.  A young college student book before his next term begins for a week. He is here 4 nights and he only left the house 2 x for about 15 or 25 minutes.  He is in my living room/kitchen/dining room combo all day long .. early to night... and has his phone on speaker phone. He kept using my water pitcher and not refilling it.  I work from home as an editor.  I  had to tell him more than once sweetly to refill and he left it in my refrigerator emptied again.

I finally just tol him that my ad states for people here on vacation; work or short term internship; not just to NEST in my home all day and just keep drinking all my water and coffee and tea all day.  I told him of the 100 guests that came here they would go out and enjoy NYC each day.  I have no privacy to make my meals which I ususally do when guests go out and wind up feeing him last night.

Today the weather was so sunny and nice; even if winter; and he was getting louder and louder on the phone all day.  I told him perhaps he should find another place; and I will refund the time he has left. I let him know he is making me very uncomfortable with taking over the common living area; and never going out to give me some privacy.  I go out myself to see a friend for tea; or walk twice a day long walks; even if i work from home. 

I am just venting to see how others handled such situations.  I am a very nice host and like guests to feel my home is their home; but not to take over; and also never go out.

I will be careful in the future; but not sure how else to pharse it; since my ad did say for people here for work; vacation and internships. Not to loiter in my house all day like a coffee shop (maybe I'll put away my coffee after breakfast time so guests do not drink 6 or 8 cups a day; and get louder and louder with all that caffeine (big smiles) 🙂

emma

8 Replies 8
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Sorry to say, but I think you are being a little unreasonable.  If you have had 1 in 100, then chalk it up to a fluke, but if he considers sitting in a nice home a vacation, who are you to argue?  If this is a concern then update your listing to say, you only want people to come and go and not loiter since you work from home.

I'll send him to you.  He can keep his phone on speaker and pace back and forth in your living room for hours. 🙂 Loud 2 way conversation. 🙂 And watch you cook and hint for food. 🙂  Keep drinking all the water ever hour and not refil the water filer pitcher; so when you go to get water there is none; and you have to keep refilling it. .. take breakfast items you baked all day long; so then not enough for breakfasts.  (just teasing I would not send him to you).  I had over a hundreds guests and never this experience.  I will state in my profile Only Guests who enjoy being out and about daily. (seeing a 22 year old home all day is depressing when in NYC).

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

This is what mine says:

My airbnb is best suited for guests who have plans while they are visiting. If youre looking for a comfortable place to sleep, shower, change, have a cup of coffee/tea with your Wifi before heading out for the days activities - without being smothered by a host - my place is perfect.

Diane, thanks for your reply. Good suggestion.  I'm going to add that to my mine.  emma~(nickname)

P.S. I just read how you presented everything so clearly.  I like how direct but polite you are. 🙂 Thanks again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Betty-Ann0 What was his response when you talked to him about his behaviour and his access to your space during working hours. If you clearly outlined your expections on arrival and since and his has ignored these, I think you could ask him to find somewhere more suitable. 

He  apologied and I'm letting him stay these 3 more nights.  I did remind him to read hosts ads. This is not for a room mate but those busy with work; internships and vacationing (sight seeing).  I just updated and put no loitering but people that love to be out and about.

My personal opinion is that loitering is not a nice word though. 

Have you stated in your ad (or perhaps hung a sign in the bedroom) as to what areas of the house are shared and what areas are off limits?