Guest refund

Andrew386
Level 2
Buckie, United Kingdom

Guest refund

Hey there

So I had a guest that was due to be staying in a room for 2 nights for £30 a night. The morning of her arrival, around 6am, she cancelled her reservation due to being ill and unable to go on her trip. My refund policy was set to flexible so she got refunded £30 for the 2nd day of her trip but now she is asking me to personally give her the other £30 "out of goodwill". I have no idea how to respond to this as my refund policy is already quite generous. Do I have any obligation to do so?

3 Replies 3
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Andrew386

Nope, no obligation.

If she got ill, she could have used extenuating circumstances as reason when cancelling.

I assume Airbnb didn't refund her the booking fees.

For the rest, you did the work on your side and upheld the contract readying the room for her, and won't be able to re-book the room, so it's fair that you at least get the share acc. to your cancellation policy.

For the future - if somebody cancels, even if slightly further out - and asks for more refund out of your cancellation share, tell them that due to listing being off the market there's now less chance of re-booking on such short term. But that you'll gladly re-imburse them for any days you do manage to get booked. That usually helps and shows your good will.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrew386,

Welcome to the community! 

@Andrea9's experience comes in very handy 🙂 

I'm curious how it all worked out for you @Andrew386.

Keep us posted. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Carol275
Level 1
Goudi, Cyprus

Simply sharing an experience....last night!..... I am very new to Airbnb and have my home on it ...had two wonderful experiences! Recently added my friends apartment....and joy  oh joy had a request yesterday at 3 30 pm for that night and the next 2 ,but asking if they could pay cash on arrival ,I declined suggesting it was late and that that really was not the 'right thing' then proceeded a almost pleading dialogue....I replied that they sounded desperate the reply was they were......so I said if they book through Airbnb I would do everything I could to help....they were so unhappy where they were..........it's now 6pm !......okay so they book I head to the apartment meet them at 7pm show them around chat a little ev rethink seems okay ...by the time I arrive home they have cancelled left the keys,on the table saying they don't lk e the apartment and my sister in law couldn't handle 'them there stairs'