Guest requesting cancellation

Answered!
Charmaye0
Level 2
Western Cape, South Africa

Guest requesting cancellation

Hi

My guest has just sent a cancellation request and I agreed.  It now looks like I cancelled and the date is blocked out in my calendar.

How is this going to affect me.  What is the penalty?  Will I lose my super host status as a result??

Please help.

We have worked really hard to achieve our super host status and now because I didn't understand what agreeing to the cancellation would do, it all seems to have been for nothing.

Regards

Charmaye

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Charmaye0 Any time you cancel a confirmed reservation request, you will be automatically penalized by Airbnb unless you have extenuating circumstances as a reason for cancelling (see link below).  

Many hosts, not realizing this, cancel a reservation because a guest sends them a message ask the host to cancel, or, because a guest has sent a request to cancel through Airbnb's cancellation tool.   If the host is able to honor the reservation as booked, then the host should not cancel....the guest must cancel if they are the ones who want the cancellation. 

The Airbnb cancellation tool (see link below) is generally used when a host wants / needs to cancel because they want to increase the nightly rate, decide they don't like the guest,  have double booked, have a better rental situation, etc. and the host does not cancel so they don't get the cancellation penalty.   In these situations, where it is the host who wants to cance, then the host must cancel, not the guest. Here's what the host sees when a guest  uses this tool:

guest request that host cancel.JPG

Note that even if the guest requests that a host cancel, it clearly states that host penalties will apply if the host cancels and hosts are given the opportunity to keep the reservation as is. 

Here are the links that will help you: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

If your guest asked you to cancel through Airbnb's message thread, you should contact Airbnb to get the penalties waived.  

Again, unless you are not able to honor a confirmed reservation, you should never cancel.  Even if the guest has extenuating circumstances, they should contact Airbnb for consideration of waiving any cancellation policy the host might have. 

I hope this helps!

Clare

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

I had a reservation made by someone coming from outside the COVID-19 quarantine area and would not be doing the 14 day quarantine as required prior to arrival. I told her that we could not accept her reservation because she was travelling against government regulations. I told her that I have a flexible cancel policy and she would get a full refund. She then sent me a cancel request throught the AirBnB app. If I didn't accept it, it would cancel for me. So now my calendar is blocked for those dates and it goes against my rating. I attempted to get help from the support desk for extenuated circumstances but was told that that was how it worked if I accepted it. (If I don't do it, they do it for you.) So now I'm waitng to hear back from another member of the team that could help me better. I'm not feeling very good about this lack of support for hosts from AirBnB.

@Charmaye0 

That is something that has been a problem for a LONG time - I also fell for the sneaky wording when I was a new host. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/BEWARE-of-quot-Guest-requests-that-you-cancel-quot/m-p/4...

Karen232
Level 2
Gulf Shores, AL

BEWARE!!!!!  Airbnb's new policy is to charge hosts $50 to accept a guest cancellation via email.  This penalty is deducted from your earnings and they ding you for a cancellation under your performance.  You need to look under the CSV file to find the penalty. 

I recently was penalized for accepting a guests request to cancel via email.  We never cancel on guests, to enrich ourselves, in fact we have a FLEXIBLE cancellation policy which allows for a full refund one day prior to arrival.  If a guest choses to cancel we have always graciously accepted and provide a FULL Refund.  This new email cancellation system is CONFUSING to the guest and host and Airbnb is not amenable to change their stance even though the message thread clearly indicates the guest is asking for the cancellation. 

PLEASE NOTE:  Airbnb requires the host to REJECT the emailed guest cancellation request and force the GUEST to conform to the host cancellation policy in effect.  Lucky for my guest we have a Flexible cancellation policy.  Unlucky for me to be charged $50 and have a negative mark on my performance.  This does not seem very guest or host centric to me.   I am a superhost with over 1000+ stays.

With that many stays, I'm surprised you think this is a new policy (although I realize a host can be at it for a long time and only become a aware of a policy when it happens to come up for them). It has always been like that, at least since I started hosting.

It's a very sneaky Airbnbism- that when a guest sends a request to cancel, if the host agrees, it is registered as a host cancellation. The penalties for which are a $50-$100 fine, the dates cancelled remaining blocked on your calendar, a notice on your review page saying the host cancelled the reservation, and loss of superhost status if that puts you over a 1% cancellation rate.

@Karen232 

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

My neighbours put up a ''nude sunbathers'' house sign on their fence, so i informed the due guests to reassure them  and 1 wants to cancel. Do i take the penalties despite no fault of my own?

@Laura4663 Absolutely not. If the guest wants to cancel then let them cancel. If you cancel you will be fined and have the dates blocked in your calendar. The most you should offer (and this is beyond what you need to offer) is to return to the guest 'any money you receive' from their booking making it clear that you will not be paid until after they would have checked in and that it will not include Airbnb service fees.

Have you researched laws on nude sunbathing in England?

Thanks for your reply Mike, this is a massive learning curve.

Basically, our neighbours have access via our drive way and thier fence adjoins it. We think the sign is a house identifier of some sort, or humor, or possibly because they are now aware our house is on aribnb... Ive never seen any nudity.

Airbnb cancelled and wont unblock the dates unfortunately. 

I think ill have to give guests notice when they request to book, or, see if they cancel upon arrival. We have only had 4 guests so far and would really like to keep the 5* rating so early on.

Such a shame really cause the place will be unused now when other guests requested to stay longer after notifying them of the signs! They appreciated how honest we are and that its a good sign!. Pardon the pun.

Ive also relaxed the cancellation policy..

Ill look into the laws, but i had the impression that private land is civil matter and im not considering legal action unless its deemed as harassment.

@Laura4663 You could consider adding some text into your listing regarding the sign and say that whilst the sign is there you have never seen any nudity.

I googled the law and it appears nudity is legal in ones back garden unless it causes distress to a neighbour.

I suspect you may be right that the neighbour is upset with having an Airbnb next door. Is there any way you can get them onside by perhaps stressing that if there are noise or other  issues they should contact you and you will deal with it. Not sure if you have quiet times in your listing but worth adding if you do not.

Thanks for the info, im having a think of a humorous way to put it.

I tried the heads up approach and let them know our plans. We had been renovating before they moved in and knew our intensions, they just said no, airbnbs spoil the village..

Our guests will show them otherwise im sure.

@Laura4663 one other thing. In your listing you state you are not nearby but someone will turn up quickly if there are issues. I suggest you change this to 'If there are any issues with your stay help is only a phone call away' as your current wording may attract people planning to party as they know you are a remote host. This is the last thing you need given your neighbours!