Guest used their account for someone else

Guest used their account for someone else

Hi everyone, I've been hosting now since about April here in Las Vegas. As you can imagine we stay quite busy. I've recently had a few unusual incidents and was curious how others would or have handled. Currently, I have a guest here for three nights. The reservation was booked using her "fiance's" account. I had no idea until a female was making herself comfortable in my kitchen. I asked her who she was , if she was "Mike" the person whom I was expecting and who's profile picture I had. She stated no, that she was his fiance and he was not with her. Additionally, as mentioned she has been making herself quite comfortable in our home, specifically in the kitchen which is not listed as a common area in the listing. The kitchen is not nor has it been mentioned in common area as I am careful about cross contamination due to having a child with food allergies. She has also helped herself to dishes, cupboards and the microwave. (I've since reworded and changed policies in my listing) ...It's a bit uncomfortable and I'm bothered by the improper use of the listing. She is a sweet girl and I don't think she quite understands the rules . Im not sure whether to report to Airbnb as I don't want a bad rating, I just recently went through this with a young man who decided to bring girls to the house and after repeatedly asking him not too he gave me a bad rating and claimed I was rude. Any suggestions? Opinions? 

4 Replies 4
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Anonymous  As it's a third party booking the review can be pulled. I would tell her the kitchen is off limits as stated in your listing. If you are uncomfortable with her call AirBnB and have her removed as it's against AirBnB policy to book as a third party and the host guarantee is not valid for third party bookings.  

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree if you have a third party booking, you could and in my opinion in these circumstances should have cancelled the booking as soon as you found her there.

As you have seen there has already been issues with her not understanding what has been included, because she hadn't booked.

There is no reason for her finance not to tell you he wasn't coming except to mislead you.

Going forward always ask people to confirm details of all guests and reasons for their stay. This helps weed out third party bookings.

@Letti0

You wrote <it's against AirBnB policy to book as a third party and the host guarantee is not valid for third party bookings>

Can you please point me to Airbnb's written policy on both of these points? I'd really appreciate it.

Oddly, I've been getting this a lot lately --- someone who books using someone else's account -- supposedly a fiance, or girlfriend, or boyfriend -- and the latest one where someone used the account of (supposedly) a friend of her daughter. Really? This seems really dicey. But if I complain without a stated Airbnb policy in writing online, then I just come off as a bad guy.

I feel that Airbnb should have a consistent policy prohibiting this -- but I cannot find it! Where did you get this information please?

Also, where is it stated that a review can be pulled if it's a third party booking? I thought they will only pull a review if it uses derogatory language.

Thank you.

Shosh in NYC

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I'm sorry to hear about this! Could you please let us know how everything went? 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen