Guests and rules

Emily1491
Level 3
Coxsackie, NY

Guests and rules

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I could get some guidance on how hosts make their house rules, as I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I started out with some basic ones and have been adding every time someone does something insane. I should say that I've had generally good guests--often clueless but rarely malicious or deliberate rule-breakers. But I've had things like the guests who went through four rolls of extra large double ply toilet paper in a day and a half, leading to a blocked sewage pipe that I ended up having to dig out myself after my septic guy couldn't make it, and after not being able to use my toilet or shower for four days. Or the folks who asked for several refills of the five gallon jug of filtered water I provide because they were too busy having extremely loud sex to run to the grocery store and get bottled water. So in went rules about how much filtered water I'll provide, and a request to use a reasonable amount of toilet paper. Right now I've got guests who have left the A/C on full blast while they've been away all day for the past two days (I ask people to turn it off when they are gone). I feel like my rules are starting to look a little crazy, and long, and wonder if I should abandon a bunch of them so that there is a higher chance people will read the really important ones. Also most of them seem to me like common sense, but it is pretty amazing how little common sense people display unless it's spelled out for them.

8 Replies 8

@Emily1491  There's a common impulse among newer hosts to keep adding more and more rules whenever a guest does something irksome. It often does end up looking crazy while accomplishing nothing. Careless guests aren't' deterred by rules because they don't read them, and cautious guests find excessively fussy rules off-putting. Worst case scenario, your House Rules just wind up being parodied on TikTok.

For the listing, I'd pare it down to the essential things you need people to know before they decide whether to book - the rules that are so important that you'd be willing to terminate a stay to enforce them. The softer guidelines about your preferences are better off covering during the guests' arrival, where you can discuss them face-to-face and keep it fresh in their minds. People are usually more receptive to positive advice than to micromanaging.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emily1491 

What a lovely listing you have. I really like the style you've gone for and have added it to my Wishlist!

You say you've been adding to the rules over time, but the only additional rules I can see on your listing are RE dogs and cats, not any of the stuff you've mentioned in your post, so I don't know if you have since deleted a lot of them?

I normally tend to agree with @Anonymous 's opinions, and his advice above seems totally logical, as always. However, I have a different approach.

I have a long and detailed list of house rules, which I have added to over time due to experiences with guests, much like you have described. I honestly do not care if guests think I am crazy or wind up being parodied on Tik Tok. In fact, I couldn't care less. I've only ever had one guest question my house rules, which was early on in my hosting experience, and she was one of the worst guests I have ever had to deal with. Airbnb actually removed this girl's review/ratings because they agreed that she was totally unreasonable. That is exactly the kind of guest I DON'T want. If my rules scare those types away, then good. 

Yes, it's boring for the guest to have to read through those rules. Yes, it's boring for me to have to make sure that guests actually read them, but I can guarantee you that it has saved me all sorts of headaches. People don't show up hours early for check in or check out really late anymore, which used to be a constant issues. Guests don't invite random extra people over to the house without asking anymore, which again used to happen frequently.

In addition, when you have a problematic guest that you need Airbnb to help you with, CS will often check what you have written in your house rules. Is it unreasonable for guests to be making a lot of noise at 3 or 4am in a shared listing? Well, apparently it only is if you have written in your house rules that this is not allowed. 

As I have a shared listing, I probably need more rules than someone with an entire unit, so I'm not suggesting you make your rules as long as mine, and what I DON'T think you should do is add a new rule each time ONE guest does something insane. I have had guests do the most bizarre things, but I don't think it's necessary to add a new rule each time. What should be covered is the stuff that a number of guests do. When it happens regularly, that's when you know it's something that needs to be made clear to future guests. That is why a lot of my rules are to do with things like check in/out and extra guests/visitors, or include things like "Please don't park on the neighbour's drive," rather than "Please don't help yourself to 20 bottles  from the wine fridge," because I've only ever had one crazy guest who thought the latter was okay.

So, yes, prioritise your rules, but put in whatever you think is necessary based on what a number of guests do and try to word it in a way that is not aggressive but also not apologetic. Some 'rules', which are more like instructions, or perhaps about supplies, such as how much filtered water you provide, could go in a house manual instead. I also agree with @Anonymous that a lot of stuff can be covered off during the house tour if you welcome guests in person. I find that people are more receptive to this when it's done in a friendly and informative manner and more likely to remember it too than something they read weeks or even months before.

Emily1491
Level 3
Coxsackie, NY

@Huma0 @Anonymous Thank you both so much for your feedback! And thank you so much for the nice words, @Huma0 —your space is utterly gorgeous. I’m working on trying to edit my rules down to be a little clearer and then reposting, but still convey what I need to. Part of my problem is that I ramble instead of being clear and direct.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emily1491 wrote:

Part of my problem is that I ramble instead of being clear and direct.

Yep, I have the same problem. Also, being British, I can't just write "Do this/don't do that." I have to throw in lots of 'please' into the mix! It adds to the word count, but I think it's the right way to go. I think guests usually respond to being asked nicely.

Wendy1409
Level 3
Lakewood, OH

What a nightmare with your plumbing! I'm so sorry that happened.

I agree with the previous comments on prioritizing your rules, to ensure that guests actually read them- I'll add that putting them before, but in the same place as your wifi password is a good way to make sure they're seen.  Posting rules near things they apply to also makes it easier for guests to read/see, since they're broken up into short bursts.  We do keep a rules binder, with other stuff (business cards of local places, numbers and emails for taxi services, etc.), and there's mentions of fines for certain broken rules, especially if they're costly for us.  

Another thing I'd throw in: I buy in bulk, and keep a stash of stuff guests are likely to need (extra TP, freshmates, shampoo/conditioner, ibuprofen, asprin, etc).  I have a one off freebie policy, but extras I charge for.  Not much- about a dollar or two over cost, but you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up.  We also have a couple wine racks that run on the honesty policy for a $10-20 donation, depending on the rack and wine. I make handmade soaps, balms, lotions, tinctures, and curated flavour loose teas- we have a huge garden, so my primary reason was for selling at the farmers market, but when we started hosting, we would leave out freebies, and if they want more, they can buy them.  I sell a ton! People love to buy them as gifts, or for longer stays. It's been a great way to make up for discounts.  We also have a fire pit, and provide enough wood for 1-3 fires, depending on the length of stay, and if they want more, we charge them.

Obviously those rules are hard to enforce when you don't live close by.  But we have great neighbors who are happy to help, and we pay them a percentage for running our "store" when we're not nearby.  You could also find someone who lives close that has their own small business- that's usually a good way to get their help, bc it allows them to also market their shop/restaurant/service to guests.

As for enforcing the rules, that's the hard part. Most guests are great, some are just unaware, and a handful are lacking in common courtesy.  Security cameras outside help you keep track of what's happening- just don't point them around common areas like seating and tables.  Taking a video walk through before and after a guest will go a long way in recouping any costs- and worst case scenario, there's small claims court.  Most places let you file for $75, and if you have footage of damage, 9 times out of 10, the guests will just pay the fee to avoid the hassle of going to court when you have irrefutable proof.  

Sabrina1098
Level 1
Venice, Italy

hello dear host, I am very dissapointed. The last guest who where 2 guys young form Holland, they were not fair,.. not good  review, and I was given them time,.. clean all, offer welcome drink,  give shapoon for free.. and than.. still complaing .. I  probably choose another parther as it is not fair.. suggestion? thank you

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

i do the same thing-add a rule every time someone does something insane- wash their cars and use white dish towels to dry, film adult videos, don't stay over night but come during the daytime to cook large amounts of food, you name it- we've seen it happen. 

i divide my rules into groups to make it easier for guests- cancelation policy, undisclosed guests/visitors, check in/check out, excessive cleaning, inside the house, outside the house, and fire hazards, and trash/recycling. 

i just set up my booking, check in, and check out automated messages to break up the rules so it's not so overwhelming to guests. while they can still see all the rules before and after booking, i set up the automatic messages for booking to send: cancelation policy, undisclosed guets/visitors, and you acknowledge the outdoor security cameras. i set up check in message to: check in time and info, excessive cleaning, and no smoking. i set up check out message for check out time, what to do with towels, bedding, heat/air, doors/windows, key/lock box, trash/recylcling, and please review us.

this hasn't gone out yet but will for my next guests. i'm hoping this will improve guest experience and my nerves lol. 

Angelika208
Level 3
Quintana Roo, Mexico

I laminated the following picture and put it next to the toilet visible to guests. Not a house rule (because from my experience they dont read the house rules or the booklet), but super important to prevent clogged toilets. I never had an issue ...

bano.png