Guests asking for Extra Discount

Leiloni0
Level 4
San Diego, CA

Guests asking for Extra Discount

Is it just me or are guests asking everyone for extra discounts? 

I just had a guest ask me for $100 off a two week reservation when I already give a discount for reservations over 7 days. 

Do les anyone acquiesce to these requests?

Please advise?  

32 Replies 32

@Leiloni0  Glad you got him to move on. Yes, I just thought I'd throw that in about the different culture thing, because Airbnb hosts do get guests from completely different cultures. But like I said in my last paragraph, Americans or Canadians or anyone else from places where prices are normally fixed are just being disrespectful by asking for discounts from Airbnb hosts- we're not used car lots, nor is a guest's financial situation any of our affair.

Even here in Mexico, where haggling is common, there are situations where it's certainly not appropriate. I'd never haggle with a jeweler selling their own handcrafted pieces, but the middlemen who walk around with attache cases full of mass-produced silver jewelry always assume that everyone white is a clueless tourist and start out asking way more than what it's really worth.

I so agree that a guest's financial situation is not my affair.  Also, I am asked by students to come for their spring break and they need a discount.  Am I suppose to fund their break?

@Jane2767  For sure- if they get a discount on the accommodation, they'll have more money for booze :-)) 

No. You aren’t their parents!

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Leiloni0 I really don't like discounts.

Everytime someone ask me I just go 1 euro up on the calendar.

The second time they ask for discount they receive a special offer from me with double the amount I normally would offer.

Yep I just go up.

Nothing personal and since I can't see a profile pic anyway, I'm getting even more comfortable to give a triple rate when they ask the third time. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Expect much more discount seeking/demanding when guests start clocking these enticing little notifications on the pro/commercial listings. Screenshot_20191031-113158.png

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I have to admit, in our 3,5 years of hosting we were never asked for a discount. Maybe we should raise the price 😄

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Branka-and-Silvia0  There are three possibilities

(1) Your apartment is booked quickly all the time

(2) Your price is too low and nobody wants to lower it more

(3) Your price is too high and nobody wants to lower it because the guests who like to haggle normally look at listing priced at the lower range

@Alice595  you smart girl 🙂

1) unfortunately no

2) unfortunately yes ( Zagreb is full of short term rentals so prices are low compared to the coastal area or the rest of Europe)

3) unfortunately no

Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

My answer usually something like that:

Thank you for your interest in my apartment!
I think this site automatically offers discounts if your stay is more than a week (1 week, 2 weeks and monthly discount to be precise). 
Best regards,

E.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Eugene78 

hope you are well.

I don’t know if you know this but any added discount based on increased stay ie. weekly, monthly etc is at the individual host’s discretion and not automatically applied. Telling guests this is inaccurate and could potentially give future hosts problems if this is something they do not do. Especially as new and even some experienced guests do not know how Airbnb’s business model works and this could set an untrue expectation and surprise when booking. 

What you do is completely up to you and I mention this as to let you know that maybe this may not be the best route of action.

Either way- good luck to you! 
Yadira 🙂

It depends on your settings and entirely up to host. I do offer a discount, you don't. Plain and simple.

However, I still get the requests for discounts, which is ridiculous.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eugene78  I second what @Yadira22  said. I don't offer any discounts- not weekly, not for 2 weeks (my max booking availability). Discounts are not "automatically applied" and if you tell guests this, they will hassle other hosts as to why they are not being offered a discount if they are staying a week or two.

All you have to say is "I'm sorry, but I don't offer discounts."

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Eugene78  I second what @Yadira22  said. ”
I don't offer any discounts- not weekly, not for 2 weeks (my max booking availability). ”

- It’s entirely up to your settings and your personal position, Sarah.

I do offer discounts in my own way. But I don't offer anything else.

”Discounts are not "automatically applied”.
-Unless you are setting them. 
E.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eugene78  But stating that "I think this site automatically offers discounts" isn't true. And gives inaccurate information to guests. The site doesn't automatically offer discounts, unless the individual host has set their listing pricing to do that.