Guests been stoned in your property and airbnb response

Guests been stoned in your property and airbnb response

Last night I had a guest...[Guest] turn up stoned out of his head, wanting entry to my property. He reeked of dope and it was so strong and pungent. I turned him away and logged this with the police as he got into a vehicle and eventually drove away from the house. THis also means he drove from where ever been in charge of that vehicle on our roads and at any point could have had an accident and potentially killed anyone in his path. Now that is a criminal offence to drive a vehicle whilst under the influence of drugs.

I also obviously contacted airbnb help and got what i thought was the correct response on the phone, however Hilda the case manager, was the complete opposite and said because i had not put this in my house rules I can keep the money as they guest hasn't broken the rules.............. I want to share this with the community as to me this is basically saying that all guests in your home could end up sharing with a drug taker........... I will escalate this within airbnb and I will go public with this on other media sites as i dont feel this is right. 

How do you feel about this?

If you dont agree with this raise it with airbnb, as this is sending out a message of drug tolerance and I was never made aware of that before and Ive hosted for many years now. 

This is the conversation I had with Hilda.

......................................................................................

**[Private conversation and guest information removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

40 Replies 40
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Liz223 honestly Liz if I have a guest who is stone coming into sleep in my flat I won't let him out in the middle of the night out. I don't smoke and social drinker but have friends who get high sometime after party i don't think it is a big danger unless hard drug. When u said stone not sure what type of drug u are talking about if it is Marijuana not sure if u are in real danger. That my opinion.  And I won't kick out a guets because he cames back with the smell of Marijuana either unless is bring it to smoke in the apartment.

I think some time as a host we want to be a moral guardian to our guest

I dont think you have read the message correctly, he was about to come into my property as a new guest, he drove a car from where stoned, its illegal to drive a vehicle under the influence of drugs. He could have killed someone in that vehicle. 

and what about the other guests in the house, should they have to tolerate someone who is stoned? Its unacceptable behaviour by someone sharing a space, he should have taken a flat not a room in a shared house.  If I was  guest and came across someone stoned they way he way, I would leave a property, no guest should have to put up with that and as a moral host guardian, then its might  duty to not tolerate drugs in my property for the sake of myself and my other guests. 

This is where painting all substances with the same brush becomes downright absurd.

What risk does a person high on weed pose to other guests in the home? That he'll hog the TV set or eat all their potato chips?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Liz223 I honestly think u overreacted, this guest drove even stoned from point A to  B ( ur flat ) to check-in. The guest was not violent toward you? so not sure why u will toward other guests. You are not the Police,  reporting this guest to police because he was stoned that beyond me to be honest. 

Maybe it is me, but I think the guest deserves his money back. 

I have many people stoned not violent, they are even quieter when stoned

he got his money back, but the point is he should never had turned up a proerty in that state. The law in the UK makes it illegal to drive under the influence of drugs, and I agree with the law, thank goodness we have law in the uk and intolerance of drugs. Shame on you Marie for saying this is acceptable behaviour of him. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Give me a stoned guest, over a drunk guest, all  day long... 

My house my rules and frankly I wont have either in my property. How appalling of this man to turn up like this and think he could smell this way in a non smoking house. where has morality gone? THis is the disease of society tolerating this sort of behaviour. But it interesting to see peoples views on this, but no I don't think i am over reacting. I think maybe its different in different countries and different between hosts. However its against the law and though I am not a police person, its my duty as member of this society to report these incidents.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Liz223 

I have zero tolerance for recreational drugs of any sort, having been acquainted with a beautiful girl from a good family (no social deprivation)  that got in with the wrong crowd, she started on pot then progressed to heroin, prostitution and untimely died in the gutter from a heroin overdose.

So as far as I'm concerned you did the right thing, what would Chesky say if this drug addled person cut your throat from ear to ear,  "our thought and prayers" etc.

I do not want recreational drug takers in my home, no matter how cool and all the usual justification for using them is.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi Liz

It seems beyond crazy that you should have to add to your house rules that you will not accept anyone who is under the influence of ILLEGAL substances (as it still is in UK).

Surely this goes without saying. Do we have also have to add we will not accept anyone wielding a machete or a shotgun.

I cannot believe the attitude of the Airbnb support team.

Your view of drugs use is compatible with UK law, it doesn't matter what your moral view is or is not on this matter and how others feel about how acceptable this is.

If he was happy to drive under the influence, it indicates to me a disregard for others and would make me feel uncomfortable were he to have come stay at  my house

Seeing that he has such disregard for rules, you were right to think he may have smoked it while staying with you. Again, this is illegal.

that is what I told airbnb exec team when I emailed them yesterday, the police agreed with me btw......... so at least the law sees it this way. 

@Liz223 

... yet the police didn't come out to arrest/apprehend the guest? Doesn't appear that they were any more bothered about it than Airbnb was then. Perhaps they had more important things to attend to, like serious crimes. 

that is where you are wrong Susan, The guest has been approached by the police now, and airbnb safety team has got involved........ so there! It is serious if he ran someone over or killed some in his van, or rapes another guest at the house, that is so narrow minded of you to take this stance. Maybe you are someone who takes drugs allegedly so you see that is ok, but the law says it illegal even in Dublin.  

@Liz223 

So the police in your area have so little to do that they have time to chase someone downthe following day, because one person has alleged  that someone else was stoned the previous night?? Wow. (Did you drug test him? Did you see him smoking something that you had proof to be an illegal substance? How do you know for sure that he hadn't just been around others who had been smoking, and the smell had simply lingered on his clothes?)

If you were so discombobulated  about the potential of the guest running someone over and killing them in his van, why on earth would you send him on his way, for that possibility to occur? Surely you should have got back on the phone to the police and insisted they come and arrest him immediately, before catastrophe could strike. 

And "if he rapes another guest at the house". Seriously?? Could you point us to any study/statistics/research  that correlates the smoking of weed with the increased risk of the partaker becoming a rapist?

"Maybe you are someone who takes drugs allegedly so you see that is ok"

Quite frankly, even if I were, it would be absolutely none of your business. You may describe yourself as a "moral host guardian", but you're certainly not my moral guardian, so we'll leave it at that, and I'll refrain from making hypothetical, presumptuous judgements on your character, as you seem prone to doing on others.