Guests gave all five stars beside one 4 stars and rating shows 3 stars...

Hugh86
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Guests gave all five stars beside one 4 stars and rating shows 3 stars...

I have a guest that gave all 5 starts beside one 4 stars but it shows a rating of 3 starts... what’s up with that? I also have another case where the guest gave all 5 stars and it shows 4 stars rating. Is there an issue with the application ? 

6 Replies 6
Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

Hi @Hugh86 

it's an issue about how guests understand the review system. Well, by the way, the review system might be an issue at all.

Your guests give you a rating in each of those six categories like cleanliness, ... but they give you overall rating, too.

It's strange that a guest rates you in each category 4 or 5 stars, but the overall rating is 3. Usually, in this case, Airbnb asks the guest during the reviewing process automatically if he's really sure to give a overall rating lower than the rating in each section. Because even Airbnb asks himself, where was the issue about your stay?!

An overall rating of 3 stars mean to me like 60% satisfied about the stay. So, what about the rest. Did you get any feedback from your guests??

The feed back was positive and they do not get it either. 

Just spoke to Airbnb the answer that I was given was the guest did not rate me for one category. Their explanation does note make any sense. 6 categories 5 stars each. The guest gave me 4x5 stars and one 4 stars and did not rate me on one so that’s 24 out of 30. So if you divide 24 by 6 that’s an average of 4... not 3... 

@Hugh86You don't have to divide anything.  Guests rate you in the 6 sub categories but ALSO rate you in the over all category. So they give you 7 separate ratings. The over all rating is NOT a result of the 6 sub categories but a separate category. 

Best, Sandra 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As previously posted, the overall rating is a separate rating not an average of all categories.  Actually hosts can do the same thing.  A host can find a guest okay in each category but still rate low overall.

Hi @Linda108 🙂

It is actually different when we as hosts rate guests. Because there is only 3 categories and no over all category to rate - so the over all ratings are a result of the 3 categories.

Strange that it is not the same!? 🙂

Best, Sandra