Guests not Putting Sheets on Sleeper Sofa or Air Bed

Answered!
Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

Guests not Putting Sheets on Sleeper Sofa or Air Bed

I am having an issue with a few guests being too tired (or lazy) to put sheets on the loveseat sleeper sofa or the air mattress bed when they use them.  This is very unsanitary and I am at a loss as to how to insist that this must be done.  This is definitely not something that I can do beforehand myself.  Any suggestions as to how to make it clear to guests that they must use sheets before sleeping on them?

1 Best Answer

@Susan1404 wrote:

I could leave a bottom sheet on it, it doesn't fold up well and comes off the mattress when folded.   

I would do this. Even if it unfolds, the fact that it is right there is an in their face reminder that they MUST use the sheet on the sofa bed. By the same token, could you leave the airbed sheets with it or rolled up with it? For my place I have a special sheet set that I made to fit my couch (non sleeper) that I leave right on the couch if there are so many guests that one will most likely be sleeping on it. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

Maybe put a note on your listing that they will be charged some cleaning fee for not using the sheets. You might not even have to charge anyone just have the threat of doing so. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan1404  Do you tell them this?  Either in person or in the communication back and forth?  I've found that a lot of things that seem common sense to me, not all guests will understand.  So, if you aren't doing it now, I'd mention in the messages that ...if you're planning to sleep on the sofa bed/air mattress, the sheets are XX, and it's important for health reasons that the sheets be used.  Same if you do an in person greeting to mention this.

Beyond that, @Jennifer1614  suggestion is a good one, add into the house rules that sheets must be used, and if they are not, an extra cleaning fee will be charged.  You probably will not be able to ever collect such a fee, but it may have a deterent effect.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Mark116& @Jennifer1614 - I was wondering if it would be effective to put it in the house rules since so few guests really read them, but I will go ahead and include it.  I normally take my guests into the guest cabin when they first arrive and acquaint them with a few things, so perhaps it might work for me to mention they need to use sheets if they use the sofa bed/air mattress.  I honestly thought it would be common sense, but what was I thinking LOL!  Thank you for the suggestions and hopefully just the threat of a cleaning fee might motivate them. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Out of interest - why can't you make these beds up yourself? @Susan1404 

@Helen3- the sleeper love seat would be used for seating until guests are ready to go to bed.  The air mattress would need to be put in the middle of the living room and blown up when guests are ready for bed as well.  This is not something I would be available for as I live in an entirely different house.  I would not be willing to wait up for their bedtime and be available to make those temporary beds.  Hope that makes sense.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Susan1404 

house rules and manual etc.. will not help. If the guest is lazy or careless he will not bother.

We have this IKEA sofa bed in our apartment:

ikea-ps-lovas-two-seat-sofa-bed-0

on this picture are a mattrass and the original ikea cover. We have a waterproof cover and black fitted sheet on top of it all the time because it is easier to wash it then the original cover. If we know someone will sleep on it we change black fitted sheet before check in and give them another white flat bottom sheet and the rest of the bedding. If the guest use another white bottom sheet or just sleep on the black fitted sheet it doesn't matter, the sofa is protected 🙂

Ikea has a few models of day beds and sofa beds where the same system can be used.

@Branka-and-Silvia0- I guess all I can do is try and then if they don't read (or don't listen to me), I can proceed as necessary.  My sofa is nothing like the one you have pictured.  It is a real fold-up sleeper sofa and although I could leave a bottom sheet on it, it doesn't fold up well and comes off the mattress when folded.  Thank you for trying to help me though. 

@Susan1404 wrote:

I could leave a bottom sheet on it, it doesn't fold up well and comes off the mattress when folded.   

I would do this. Even if it unfolds, the fact that it is right there is an in their face reminder that they MUST use the sheet on the sofa bed. By the same token, could you leave the airbed sheets with it or rolled up with it? For my place I have a special sheet set that I made to fit my couch (non sleeper) that I leave right on the couch if there are so many guests that one will most likely be sleeping on it. 

@Ava30- you have just give me a terrific idea and I thank you.  I have always kept the sheets in the downstairs closet, but I am going to get them out, put them in a basket or some sort of container, put a little sign on them and put them right in the living room.   The air mattress will need to stay in the closet because it is big and very ugly when deflated, but the sheets for it can come out too.  Thank you Ava - wonderful ideas!!

@Susan1404 , you are welcome. Glad I could help. I used the zippered clear vinyl bags that sheet sets come in with a laminated page that says “Couch Sheet Set” I created the page on my computer and made it pretty but not too busy. I own a small business where I need small laminated signs regularly so easy peasy for me. I like the zippered bags because they keep the sheet sets clean until needed. One could also tie a nice ribbon around them to dress them up for display in a basket in the living room. 

@Ava30I like the ribbon idea and think I will try that too.  I actually have some of those clear plastic bags in my house somewhere, so I will use those too.  I think this system will work very well except for just downright lazy people. 🙂

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Susan1404 You could leave the bedding folded up on the sofa bed, perhaps tied with a ribbon so it stays tidy if they don't need it.  Then safety-pin a card to the sofa-bed reminding them about the bedding.  Put the card in the middle at the top where their heads would be.... then they can't miss it.

I love @Branka-and-Silvia0 's suggestions about the sheets on the Ikea bed!

Thank you for the ideas.  I think I'm going to try putting them in a basket in the living room with signage and see if that helps some.  I have only had 2 groups sleep without sheets, but one group is too many.  I try so hard to keep the place nicely decorated and to put the linens out of sight, but when people take advantage, I know I need to do something more obvious.

Susan653
Level 10
Groton, CT

@Susan1404 , I always make the sofa bed for guests who need it. It means they'll be relegated to squeezing onto the love seat for living room seating (and/or grabbing a couple additional chairs from the dining area), but I haven't had complaints or downgrades in reviews, so I guess it's been working. I imagine plenty of them just flop on the bed to watch TV.  If I know there will be fewer guests at the beginning of the stay with additional guests joining, I give them the option of keeping the sofa folded. In that case, as has been mentioned, I leave the sheets for them to make it themselves when the additional guests arrive. This doesn't happen that frequently, but when it does, they use all the sheets I leave and make the bed properly. I'm optimistic that this will work for you. 🙂

The problem I've had is guests who fold up the bed with the sheets still on it. This is a huge PITA because:

1. I have to haul out the bed again to get the sheets off and then close it again if the next guests don't need the bed. My sofa bed is pretty old and the mechanism is warped and cranky, so I prefer to do this as little as possible to avoid bruised shins and an aching back. People find the the sofa bed comfortable because of the very nice new mattress (which also makes the bed harder to close).

2. Bed closed with sheets on results in said bed "eating" said sheets. Holes in my brand-new sheets. It happens every time someone insists on closing the bed with the sheets still on. I'm not sure why anyone would think they're making it easier rather than harder for me  by closing the bed with sheets I'll then have to open the bed to remove, but there you go.

Bottom line for OP @Susan1404 : Leave sheets and cross fingers

Bottom line for this Susan: Make and save a "check-out instructions" email.