Guests not following house rules

Guests not following house rules

We have been renting our mountain home for 2 years now.  It is a new home, very spacious and comfortable, 4 miles from a major ski resort.  Just recently the last few sets of guests have left things a mess, dirty, left food, did not take trash or recycling per posting.  I have not changed the listing over the months, in fact I made it more specific.  Typically no one is truthful about the number of guests either. I read all the prior reviews before I accept a request and they are all glowing.  I simply do not understand.   Any tips or ideas, this is very frustrating. 

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Pamela787 some thoughts:

- Send guests a friendly reminder of your check-out requests the night before they leave.

- Limit check-out requests to the absolute essentials. Set your cleaning fee high enough to handle some messiness.

- Frankly, nobody wants to take their trash with them and I'm not surprised you're having trouble on that one. Can you get someone local to haul it, and build the cost into your cleaning fee or nightly rate? Two of my listings also have no trash pick-up, so I get it, but I don't think expecting guests to haul the trash is a viable solution.

- Re. extra people, if you're having an ongoing issue, consider an exterior security camera, and be sure this is properly disclosed in your listing.