Guests not following house rules

Guests not following house rules

Hello. We currently have two guests staying with us. Our apartment is listed as non-smoking, they are however, smoking out the window and using a drinking glass as an ashtray. One of them uses a medicinal cream, when we entered the apartment yesterday we noticed the white cream all over the red leather sofas. We took photos, cleaned off the cream, which also took some of the colour away, and provided two sofa covers for whenever they sit there. We also asked them politely to use the covers and the cream has damaged the sofa. This morning the sofa covers were off the sofa. Luckily, no cream, however! There is also a common room that guests share, they are leaving it very messy and full of beer and wine bottles. It’s a communal area that possible other guests would have to share. Any advice on dealing with rude guests that don’t follow the house rules? They are our first guests and we are feeling rather saddened by this horrible experience. Thank you. 

15 Replies 15
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0 

your listing isn't clear and I can't figure out what you offer in your listing.

First, it's listed as "private room in the apartment"

Then you describe the apartment as "The Pillars - luxury two-bedroom/two bath. apartment..."

and then again: "The space, Fully-furnished apartment with spacious, open-concept living and dining area....."

and at the end, in "You must also acknowledge" section: "Some spaces are shared - Kitchen and living-room are shared unless you rent the entire apartment. "

You didn't explain who will use shared spaces, you or the other guests?

Do you rent both rooms together or they can be booked separately by 2 groups of guests?

If you have options to rent 2 single rooms separately and together and the whole apartment then you should have 4 listings, each with its own calendar and different prices.

Everything should be explained very clearly or you could have cancelations and bad reviews in the future.

Regarding your question - you already have this in your house rules but it would be good to repeat it to your guests during the check-in. We all know guests don't always read what they book.

Thanks for the quick response. When I view the listing it says - private room in an apartment. Also, Airbnb gives us the option to select the shared spaces, which I have selected - the living and kitchen area and who will share them. I have selected these options that Airbnb has given us.  Therefore, you are renting a private bedroom in a two bedroom apartment.  The description in itself is a full description of the apartment. Yes, other guests may rent the second bedroom. The current guests only have access to one bedroom and the living and kitchen area. 

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0 

we didn't understand each other ...

your title says Luxury APARTMENT for rent

then under it says Private ROOM

then under sleeping arrangements, you have BEDROOM 1 and BEDROOM 2

then you say the entire apartment can be booked...

If I understood it correctly, your listing and price of 9t0€/nigh is for 2 bedrooms, right?

But what if I want to rent just 1 bedroom? You neither have a listing nor the calendar for this option and your price is too high for just 1 bedroom so you will be at the end of search results.

What if I want to rent the entire apartment? I wouldn't find your listing in the search results because you list "private rooms"

if  I book just 1 bedroom - your calendar will be blocked for those dates so nobody else will be able to book another room.

What i want to say is:

If you want to rent each bedroom separately than you should make 2 listings, one for each bedroom. Then the 3rd listing for both bedrooms together and 4th listing for the entire apartment without shared spaces.

So, are you telling me that I have to make three separate listings? One for each bedroom, then one for the entire apartment? 

The price is definitely not too high for August. Maybe it’s too high for you, not for others. 

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0   Yes, your listing is confusing as it is written, you list it as a 'private room' but also as an entire apartment for 5 people all in the same listing, very confusing, you will surely get guests who think they are renting the whole apartment and be upset to find they are only getting one bedroom.

If what you are doing is offering 1) bedroom to guest A, 2) another bedroom to guest B or 3) the entire apartment for one set of guests, then yes you need 3 different listings, where obviously the price for renting the entire apartment is higher than renting a single bedroom in it.  How else would you do it?  

Most excellent advice. Thank you. As I had never done this before, it’s nice to see it though the eyes of others. I didn’t know we could or had to make different listings for the same place. I’ll work on the changes tomorrow morning as I have to go to work now. 

I value and appreciate all your kind advice. 

Thank you

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0

you didn't understand me, I said if the price of 90 € is for both bedrooms together then it would obviously be too high for just 1 bedroom 

(I have no idea what prices are in your area and I still don't understand if the price on your listing is for both bedrooms or just for 1.)

you need 4 listings:

1.  bedroom No 1
  2. bedroom No 2
  3. both bedrooms together (for group of 4 guests)
  4. entire apartment

Thank you for this valuable advice. I can see know how having different listings makes sense. Glad I stopped by the forums to ask some questions. 

Back to the OP, since I have contacted the guests, they are no longer smoking out the window and have been much more polite and respectful of their environment. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0   Unless you want to call airbnb and have them kicked out, all you can do is document your requests that they follow the rules on the airbnb platform.  Tell them that there is no smoking in the apartment, period.  Tell them that they need to pick up after themselves when using the common area.  I'd tell them in person and then document the conservation you just had on airbnb system.  

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

How do you document smoking outside the window?

It's my biggest problem as well. Kindly help! 

Thank you, Mark. By ‘document’ the requests, do you mean, via email with the guests on the Airbnb platform? Silly question, but I’m new here. Thanks again. 

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0 

@Mark116  is trying to say that you should talk with your guests in person and tell them to behave and obey your house rules. Then repeat the same in writing via Airbnb message thread (the one you use to communicate with your guest) so you have a written proof In case of some problems, false accusations or in case you want to shorten their stay . Airbnb can not possibly know what you talk with your guests but they can read the message thread between you and your guest.

Perfect, thank you. We have already spoken to them about it in person. I will now, also document it here with our guests. 

Thank you for taking the time to review our listing and suggest some changes, it’s greatly appreciated. You learn something new every day and I’m grateful for that. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Marcello-and-Jennifer0   Kudos to you for coming to this forum for support and input.  You have already gotten great advice from both @Branka-and-Silvia0  and @Mark116 .  To extend your understanding of this platform I suggest you make use of the many articles in the Help Center about hosting.  Some of us don't find the platform to be intuitive and it helps to look at the general information.  Good luck to you!