Guests overuse electricity and blow fuse breakers -- How to prevent overuse of power

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Guests overuse electricity and blow fuse breakers -- How to prevent overuse of power

My very first guests arrived this weekend!  They have already blown the circuit breakers by running appliances, AC, hot water heater etc.  

HOW DO I PREVENT THIS ABUSE in the future?

27 Replies 27

@Kenneth12 My husband and I set our AC at night at 74 F and it's quite chilly.  

69 F is outrageous and very bad energy conscientiousness.  I guess most people just don't care.  

@Rosalind41 :  during Chicago's most recent extreme heat/humidity event,  highs were in the upper nineties with overnight lows in the 80s,  relative humidity stuck in the 90%-s.   Multiple guest complained when,  despite adding air conditioners and taking the building to max electricity consumption,   indoor temp  bubbled up to 74F,  and we got 1-2 bad reviews from people who didn't understand that just because they came from Little Rock,   95F jut wasn't the same here as an everyday summer's day in the South.

That's the simple reality;   most guests are going to expect something that is close to corporate/institutional norms in the US,  about 65F.  Delivering pointed environmental messages and lesson such as a more polite version of "hey,   in the past two years we've had five of these events,  the one before that was summer of 1945,  it's not looking good and we've got to adjust our attitudes and actions" can do a lot,  but at 74F even with fans I've got guys walking around in t-shirts and shorts sweating in the hallways.

Otherwise there are energy calculators out there that could give you a sense of the additional energy from moving to 74F to 69F in your climate/conditions-- it is likely not that much energy compared to what we were expending at 98F/82F to keep things at 72-74F indoors!    

It is also important to understand the structural profile of your building or structure and take the simple and necessary steps to reduce usage:   in our case,  for instance,  if Chicago continues to experience such events yearly,  we will need to make the roof white,  seal the exterior to prevent humidity entry/saturation,  and take a host of other insulating measures which should pull consumption down 20-30% during extreme events,   both in the summer and in our "new normal" winter events.

Happy Hosting.

@Kenneth12   Putting the AC at 65F is insane!  I was livid when a recent set of guests left the AC units on 68 ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT, despite being asked to raise the temp back to 74 when they left.  I keep my AC on 72 and I like things very cool, much cooler than most people.   But, I thought that somewhere around 70-72 is what is considered 'normal'? 

@Mark116 :  I may agree,  and Dept. of Energy may recommend 78F,   but the supermarket around the corner,  and every office building,  museum,   and other institution is at 65F.    (And be sure:  the Jewel-Osco two blocks away is a metal box that is leaking energy at an unbelievable rate.)

That said,  72-78F during these events would probably not,  from an engineering standpoint,   be ideal as a target at all;   in environmental conditions such as those normal in Singapore,   which is what we're seeing Chicago and other cities become like during these extreme events,  it's much cheaper to cycle air conditioning for 18 hours/day than for 6 hours.   

A key factor maintaining a dry environmental envelope/shell at the outside edge of the house,   so that humidity cannot soak into the building materials and act as a painfully effective head conductor.

We are also just seeing air conditioning systems that are able to adjust / cycle power effectively come onto the market,   in place of current systems that are essentially on/off with varying fan speed -- that should let us eek out another 10-30%,  eventually.

Overall,  it's going to take a lot of small-scale structural understanding of existing buildings to survive;  in the case of Chicago's mostly post-fire,   brick construction units,   a constant series of 1-2 extreme events/year over a decade or so is going to do a lot of damage to buildings where people aren't paying attention.   

We had plaster falling,  condensation on structural beams and pipes creating water flows through the structure,   and a host of other issues that,   against the background of Chicago deploying mobile cooling units and tens of deaths,   drove home exactly how serious such events are,  and what they can do.

@Kenneth12 Yes, you are right on so many issues.  Especially that pertaining to the house structure/building itself.  With global warming, our summers in the Midwest (me in Iowa and you in   Illinois) are going to have to make the necessary investments to help counter the heat.  We have a 2-year old state of the art H/AC unit and now since that's not enough to cool off a 2-story house, we're contacting the heating and cooling company tomorrow to discuss options of how to more efficiently and effectively cool the house and prevent (better) the circuit breakers from blowing when guests demand more of the system

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosalind41  Yes, I'm sure it will work out. You just didn't consider the electrical impact of 6-8 people as opposed to 2. Even if they didn't turn the AC so high, when you have that many people with all their devices plugged in, the water heater going nonstop, a bunch of women blow drying their hair at the same time, etc, you'd probably be blowing fuses.

P.s. If you are responding to a specific poster here, click on the @ symbol and a list of names in the thread will come up, then click on one of those and the person will be "tagged", meaning they will get a notification that you've written a response. If the name doesn't appear on the list, just type it in as it appears on their post after you enter the @.

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

@Sarah977 cool!  I learn something new every day!  Yes, this whole thing has been a learning experience.  I was just so very excited to welcome my first guests and it seems to have been a bust.  Tomorrow is another day though!

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

I'd like to include everyone in the conversation so they can chime in too.  So when I post a reply, can everyone see it?

@Rosalind41  Oh yes, everyone can see it, but they might not look at the thread unless they are tagged. I myself look at all new comments on any thread I'm following (which I get notifications of whether I'm tagged or not) but I don't know if everyone does.

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

@Sarah977 Like you do, I read them all as well.  I don't want to miss anyone's advice and tips!  Such a great community!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosalind41 @Kenneth12  It's so bizarre- in places where it gets really cold in the winter, people wish for the weather to warm up and the summer to come. Then when it actually does, they want the inside to be refrigerated to Arctic temperatures. When I go to Canada in the summer, I always have to carry a sweater with me, as almost every store is so cold. What's the point in AC that's so cold all the employees are wearing sweaters in August?

Ana1971
Level 4
Mesa, AZ

Gudday! Here's what we did, maybe this will help you. It DOES mean a little extra effort on your behalf but not much, I promise.  Oh and we live in our B&B. So we mapped out the circuitry of our house. This sounds complicated but it really isn't. You just turn off the electrical breakers (or remove the fuses) one by one and see what turns off. This way you can work out what appliances and outlets and lights, etc. run off each breaker / fuse. We cut our electricity bill by more than 40% by NOT using some appliances between peak hours. To make sure that our Guests also don't use the appliances during those hours, we simply turn the breaker / fuse off. Don't surprise them with it, have a conversation with them about it first. This was the simplest and most sure solution that we have found so far. Hope this helps you.

@Ana1971  Yes, that's not complicated at all, and I'm surprised that any home owner wouldn't know which breakers go to what. I guess if one is the sort of person who calls an electrician in to change a light socket, one might never need to know that, but I prefer to do easy jobs like that myself, rather than than pay someone to come over to do a 5 minute job. I also change out the capacitors in my ceiling fans when they get old and the fans start running slow, so you can bet my electrical panel is well-marked.