Guests refuse to use the pool

Felicia48
Level 7
California, United States

Guests refuse to use the pool

Hello all 

I have a funny one for everyone 

it has been constantly 109, 110 here in the desert.  The guests are complaining it’s hot.   Lol. Yes!  Everyone else has been raving about how nice the pool has been and they stay in it all day.   So imagine my surprise when I receive a message from the guest telling me that the pool is too cold.  Huh?   No wonder you’re hot.  Jump in and cool off.   So I go to check the Nest and they have it set to 58 degrees!!!   What is wrong with these people?  Why aren’t they using the pool?  How do I get them in the pool?   They are there for another 3 days.  How do other hosts (especially in the desert) handle thermostat issues with guests.  I once saw a listing that charged $25 extra a day, if the thermostat went below 78!  Did I mention that they have been using the hot tub at 107 degrees!!   Never a dull moment. Thank you in advance.   

6 Replies 6

@Felicia48:
My thermostat has a minimum allowed setting that guests cannot go below. Not sure if Nest offers that or not.

@Tim-and-Holly0  Thank you.  I will look into it. My thing is , how do you not want to get into the pool and cool off.   The water has been perfect.  These people must have very thin blood. 

@Felicia48:
The longer I am in this business the more convinced I am that people are completely and totally STRANGE.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Felicia48 for example I never swim in pools because I get a rash every time (tmi I know) but my point was people do have reasons not to swim in pools 🙂 But they could just shower, it is so stupid to complain to a host if you are hot, it's like they are babies. There are people so stupid ( I don't mean to be that harsh but I can't think of a softer description) that I wonder how they get through life. I mean they have day jobs... how can a person do their job successfully enough to earn money to travel of they don't know the most basic things in life. I am not saying I am the smartest in any way, but I have had guests who don't know how to unlock the door literally, guests who forget the stove on every single time, guests who leave the entrance door open all night, guests who throw damp towels on the bathroom floor and complain about the smell, guests who put cooked eggs in the room on 40°C and complain of the smell after hours.... this is all common sense. I just had guests go into my neighbors yard thinking it was a coffee shop when he literally has one table with 4 chairs and his house looks nothing like a coffee shop. I made them coffee and he let them drink it there. We aren't their caretakers, It's like they can't function without help. 

Felicia48
Level 7
California, United States

Hi @Ana1136   @Tim-and-Holly0 

yes! You nailed it.  Exactly my reason for this post.  What does this guest expect me to do 

help him cool off??  What do I tell him? Well today, he told me he’s allergic to the sun.  He breaks out in a rash.  So you decide to stay 5 days in the desert at the hottest time of the year?????

*insert eye roll*. Why would he come here?  I have a covered patio area for eating and lounging. I also have the pool area that gets shade in the mornings.  He is complaining that the only are that has shade is the spa where he wants to be.  I just don’t know what to say. I am at a complete loss of comprehension as to what this guest wants.  Anyone with tips....greatly appreciated.  

Irene610
Level 2
Coconut Creek, FL

I had 2 guests from Turkey.  I live in Florida.  They kept leaving the sliding glass door open for long periods of time and then complained about mosquito bites and wanted me to fumigate their room.  They also didn't seem to care about leaving the door open while the airconditioning was running. How can people be so stupid!