Guests want to check in at 1 a.m.

Answered!
Joanna36
Level 2
Roquetas de Mar, Spain

Guests want to check in at 1 a.m.

I am a new host and had a fantastic experience with my first guests who stayed last week. My dilemma is that the guests who are due to arrive on 25th July want to check-in at 1am. I have suggested that they need to reserve the apartment for the 24th also, in which case I am willing to meet them at 1am with keys, info etc. The guest however is adamant that they have booked for the 25th and seem to believe that they have the right to gain access any time after midnight on the 24th! 

I am willing to be flexible with check-in/check-out times but I think that what they are expecting is unreasonable. I am now feeling nervous about how these guests will treat my property, which up until recently was my much loved home.  I would be very grateful for any advice.

Joanna

1 Best Answer
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Joanna36

Ask them if they ever had any luck with that kind of reasoning with a hotel  😉

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Joanna36, what the guests are wanting is outrageous and they are trying to get 2 nights for the price of 1. Do not allow this. Your checkin time is 2pm to 10pm as is clearly stated on your listing. The guests have no right to arrive at 1am on the day of checkin. Presumably they think they are going to sleep then, so that would be a night they have not paid for. In a hotel they would be charged for the night of the 24th, the same applies here. If you have any problems then phone AirBnB on +34 91 123 45 67.

Thank you Victoria, for your opinion and the airbnb telephone number

fse'">ac'">ac'">temp.png

/>img src="x-javascript : alert(1)" border="0">

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Joanna36

Ask them if they ever had any luck with that kind of reasoning with a hotel  😉

@Joanna36 If you guests are arriving nearby , either by plane, train or boat it's quite normal to want to check-in early rather than walk the streets or stay in a café. If you have no problem of being up at 1am, I'd suggest you send them a modification to their reservation to include the night before. Tell them it will be no problem for them to book in at 1am. If they refuse or it's not convenient for you, then tell them that check-in is between 1pm and 10pm as stated in the listing. You could also recommend them other airbnbs nearby who do allow 24hr check-in. It's not unusual as Tom Jones says, and it doesn't neccessarily point to bad guests, just guests who don't read the listings and this is very common. Do you really want instant book on? Maybe untill you get abit of experience and chat to guests it will ease your understandibly newbie concerns. Stay polite, upbeat, positive, don't go down the sarcastic, angry road, you don't want a bad review or very low stars so early on, especially as this request can be dealt with so easily. Good Luck, Elaine

Thank you for your advice. I originally offered them the option of checking in at 1 .a.m. for an additionall fee. Since then I have suggested that they need to reserve the night of the 24th and I will look at sending them a modification. 

I thought I had asked for a deposit and will have to look at my listing, thank you for that. I also thought that I had switched off instant book, so again I will look at that. 

With reference to the guests, on this occasion I think I will just have to bite the bullet in order to avoid a bad review. In actual fact, the family will be arriving by boat from Morocco and if they have children, I certainly wouldn`t want them to be without a bed for the night.

Thanks again for your comments.

On another subject you have no Security Deposit to cover any damage guests may cause to your propery. The money will not come out of the guests account unless you make a claim which they can accept or refuse. If they refuse airbnb get involved to make the final decision. I would recommend you include a SD for all future reservations especialy as you are kid friendly and it's a whole house so you won't be present.

Sogi0
Level 2
Shinjuku, Japan

yeah I agree with you, they have to book for 24th!

And I am also telling the guests to do that. 

Joanna36
Level 2
Roquetas de Mar, Spain

Thank you for your support Sogi.

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If they booked for 25th and you have a defined check-in time, that is the only time they can enter the appartment. I don't see how they can think otherwise. Anytime before that, especially during the night before 25th, has to be booked separately. 

Joanna36
Level 2
Roquetas de Mar, Spain

Thank you Ana

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Just be aware that demanding guests who push it before they even arrive are the ones most likely to cause problems when they are installed.

Please cancel these guest!
It is not worth it, this is a major red flag.
This shouldn't even be concidered as an early check in, they are already trying to take full advantage and will possibly still leave a bad review since you already objected to their outrageous demands.
Airbnb will assist you with the cancelation penalty free as their demands violate your clearly stated check in and checkout times. I wouldn't risk having people like that around my things. I do believe this is a clear sign that they will be difficult guest and leave you a bad review.
I have checked guest in before my stated check in time. But someone asking to basically check in slightly after the day before is being outragious.
Do your self a favor and have Airbnb cancel.
All the best!

I agree with Mich. I would contact Airbnb, tell them what's happening, and ask to have this reservation cancelled. There are some indicators of bad behaviour and this is most definitely one of them. Expecting to check in at 1 AM? That's just nuts. 

I cancelled one guest because somehow, she had been able to book a one-night stay even though my minimum was two nights. I'd had one night stays the month previous, but had correctly configured my calendar to end it at the end of that month. Somehow, five days into the next month she was able to book for a single night. I was going to just accept the booking anyway, but then she mentioned it was a celebratory supper for one of her friends and that the maximum amount of people were going to be staying. I was uncomfortable because I clearly state, "no events" on my listing. However, I thought again, "Oh well, maybe six women having supper together won't be so bad."

However, when I tried to contact her, just to clarify what exactly the celebration was going to entail, she didn't respond for days (and her description was vague and open-ended). When she finally did get back to me, after two reminders from me, I kindly mentioned that I needed to be able to communicate with her. When a failure to communicate happened a second time--I needed to tell her that the 11 AM check out was going to be followed strictly (I was leaving to go on holiday the afternoon of that day and really needed to get in to clean before my flight)--she ignored my messages again.

Those behaviours, along with the erroneous one night booking, were enough to get her cancelled. I did get a petulent message from her, which I ignored. The point is that some people do treat our places like we're desperate for business. Even if you are desperate for business, it's not wise to show your hand in that regard. Moreover, not accepting wonky bookings from strange or unhelpful people is your right.