Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Jamaal1
Level 10
Elk Grove, CA

Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Every bad review I have is due to me confronting a guest that has broken the rules. Usually the review complains about lack of privacy or me not being accommodating. Why should someone who has broken the rules and been kicked out, be allowed to leave a retaliation review? Anyone who breaks a serious rule, should be penalized and not allowed to leave a review! Airbnb can make rules levels, where hosts can say which ones are intolerable.

49 Replies 49

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Jamaal1 @Janet989 @Ann72 @Lorna170 

A while ago we had a discussion in the German CC on pillows.

• What kind of pillows do guests from all over the world prefer?

Do they want large pillows or small pillows, thick or thin pillows, one or 2 pillows and if 2, maybe 1 small and one large pillow or 2 small or 2 large pillows?

When guests come to my place they are in Bavaria which is a part of Germany. The standard setup in our area is one pillow 80x80cm and that's what they get. When people are travelling around the world they should adopt to the circumstances in the country they are visiting, and Ute's place is a good startingpoint for that exercise.

Exactly @Ute42, we prepare things according to our custom and the old rule of traveling well is, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

@Ann72 

In other words: "Live like a lokal"

@Ute42  Oh right.  Somehow I prefer St. Ambrose’s version 😂

Yes, @Jessica-and-Henry0, that's the one!  Check it out, @Janet989 and @Lorna170, it's a very entertaining read.  🙂

Lidia23
Level 3
Brescia, Italy

I had a very bad experience with a last minute booking for only one night...they arrived late in the evening and did not want to show their passports....of course we took lots of time to convince them that it was a duty for every host in Italy....as a result we got our first 1 star review...no more superhost (my husband's account)... and airbnb told me they cannot remove the review because we did not advice them of this special house rule!!!

but this is not my rule... this is italian law!!!!

so sad...

as a result of it we had a lowing of booking even if we lowered a lot the prices....

yep! This is what I mean the hosts suffer, as with a false bad review, we have to lower our price to start gaining traction again. 

Before I allow any guest to arrive I have them review all house rules and respond with agreement. This still doesn’t work, as I find them purposefully ignoring rules, as though the rules don’t pertain to them! Then if you speak to them about breaking the rules, or worse case have to evict them, the host gets a bad review! It’s frustrating! 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jamaal1 What you write here is completely true- if someone wants to break house rules then they will regardless of what you write and what they have agreed upon. 

I think so far you have done an amazing job- so don’t let that 1% of poor guests keep you down. Maybe until you find your footing just get off IB if you are on it and look at how their communication is- this is usually a big insight. 

As a host I think your idea for  revoking all power to review from both guests and hosts is great, as well as an automated review (Guest broke rules during stay and host does not recommend this- this is an automated review). But we’ll see if Airbnb ever listens to this. 
In my opinion Airbnb is really missing out on a wealth of ideas by not being as actively involved in this community centre- so much input, so many different opinions... their service would definitely be stronger. And who better to know the product, the person using it everyday? 

Someone once said- fix your crown, block that guest and move on. Life is too short and this person was not worth it. God, can’t believe they broke into your garage to take Photos for their IG probably 🙈... anyway, Good luck to you! 🙂

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lidia23 Arghhh this is so annoying. Maybe in your listing, rules, reservation email and confirmation email have this written down

Under Italian law it is mandatory for all guests to show hosts their passport upon checking in (add link)- by reserving with us you agree to this rule and all rules clearly stipulated in our listing at time of booking- failure to do so will result in a 0% refund, no exceptions. Thank you for your cooperation! 

As the guest has agreed maybe then Airbnb would be on your side for this! 

I would also resend the note to show passport only on the morning of check in- this way if they did not see this it’s not on you at all (I am not saying it ever was) but Airbnb should back you up. Good luck to you 🙂

Lidia23
Level 3
Brescia, Italy

thank you so much!! yes this is a good idea!!!  The problems occurred because they booked that day, few hours before, and I was very busy, so I sent them some welcome messages but forgot to send them the advice about the passports...(never had problems before!!!) ....better to put in the house rules... I think they would not read it.... but perhaps I had something to say to airbnb...

have a nice day!

Denis66
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

We have the same problem on a constant basis. Last one we had was when a guest brought extra people onto the property after being told that only paying guests are allowed to enter the property. This in turn is a serious criminal offence called tress-passing when extra people are brought onto a private property. The guest left a retaliatory 1 star review based on his/her criminal behaviour and airbnb supports this? This makes Airbnb supportive of entertaining criminal behaviour by allowing a guest who is now charged with a criminal record for tress-passing to leave a review as well as a rating. This is totally unacceptable and hopefully one day someone with the right backing and money will sue Airbnb for millions to help set this ridiculous policy straight and to be done away for good for guests who deliberately break the rules and are allowed to leave fabricated reviews.

Yep! This is the exact problem I had! Guests starting bringing over friends I told them the rules they agreed on says no parties. The guest gave me a bad review saying I have no privacy! Airbnb supported the review saying that was the guest’s actually experience. And that only a review that uses bad words etc can be taken down!

Rose-And-Lisa0
Level 2
New York, United States

I agree- guests who break house rules should not be allowed to review. I’m in the process now of Getting someone out who booked for 2 guests and currently have 5 people sleeping there!!  Better yet, the person that made the reservation is not even staying here!! I just started in October and this is the 3rd guest who has booked less than the actual guests staying. I have to put an end to this and risk the chance of them posting a bad review because they are the deceitful ones trying to get over. Air BnB should not allow those who get removed from reservations for breaking rules to leave a review. 

This happens to me constantly, people booking for other people! This is trespassing! To prevent this I changed my booking settings. Guests have to write and explanation for their visit while booking. If it’s for a friend, spouse, etc. They can’t come. I also have a doorbell can that verifies the guests. But again after you kick these people out, they will leave a bad review! 

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Party guests violating rules can still leave one star reviews under this stupid policy