Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Jamaal1
Level 10
Elk Grove, CA

Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Every bad review I have is due to me confronting a guest that has broken the rules. Usually the review complains about lack of privacy or me not being accommodating. Why should someone who has broken the rules and been kicked out, be allowed to leave a retaliation review? Anyone who breaks a serious rule, should be penalized and not allowed to leave a review! Airbnb can make rules levels, where hosts can say which ones are intolerable.

49 Replies 49
Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I looked at your listing to find the situation. I agree with you that some guests who book a private room in someone’s home, think the hosts have abandoned their place and actually don’t live there. Unfortunately, since they paid for the room and you received the funds, they do have a right to leave a review. It’s your home and you have all authority to confront situations that warrant them. Maybe be mindful of how your message gets delivered.

Yes agreed, but what you don’t see the events that occur. Before I host anyone, I ask that the read house rules and agree before booking. If this disagree to the rules before booking, they can opt another place. The issues occur when I leave my home for work or am not present.  I come back to find guests smoking weed in home, locals washing 10 loads of clothes, having paintball shootouts at 3am with friends, trying to trow a party as they thought I wasn’t going to return, having a domestic dispute trowing my dishes at their spouse, and even one guest that decided not to check out because I was at work. These are all rules documented before they book. Then when I confront them or have them removed they all say the same thing! Host is not accommodating or host doesn’t give privacy! Privacy to break rules? Many confuse Airbnb with hotels! We are not hotels! 

Maybe you fon't have to confront them when they are in a crazy moment. Try to send a messagr though the Abnb site explaining the House Rules, do a photo of thw broken things and call Airbnb. Put them put of the House after the second rule broken on purpose. Call the police if they don't want to leave.

I took all the steps you requested for guest who broke small house rules. Guest that I actually have to evict was also as you stated. One guest had a party where over 20 people came and trashed my house. They had a paintball fight at 3am outside where neighbors called cops,. This same guest even got into my garage where they got into my cars for photo ops! After eviction by Airbnb they left a review saying I wasn’t accommodating and gave them no privacy.  

I 100% agree... and in my opinion, THIS is the core of all main issues with Abb...

I don't care about any written reviews as I would be able to reply with my version of events.

BUT (for example) if I have 2 guests booked and they enter the property at 2am with 4 people (AS OF MY HOUSE RULES THIS WOULD BE TRESPASSING) and I'm able to submit evidence from my outdoor cam, the guests (and host) should be blocked from any Star-Ratings, the booking needs to be canceled by Abb, refund as of cancelation policy, and an automated message should be posted on guest account: "GUEST VIOLATED HOUSE-RULES AND GOT CANCELED WITH NO REFUND"

Every Host should be allowed to have (perhaps) 3 SUPER STRICT RULES and in case of any violation, the guest needs to suck it up... The system should explicitly notify a guest again about this "STRICT-RULES' during the booking process and the consequences in case of a violation.

Finally someone understands where I’m coming from! There are some rules that shouldn’t be broken, and if they are broken the guests should be revoked from Airbnb and penalized to the max! Due to Airbnb’s review policy, I have tolerated so many violations due to guests being able to write a negative review after an eviction! I am not a baby sitter or a hotel! If people opt to purposely violate predetermined rules, such as a party or smoking weed in the house, they should be banned, blocked, and not given an opportunity to retaliate! 

Adesh-and-Viviana0
Level 1
New York, United States

I totally agree.  It’s as if you are held hostage as many times guests have left the place dirty or flaunts the rules . 

Even calling Airbnb is a waste of time as it seems there are a bunch of young or inexperienced people on the line who cannot think logically or have common sense.  They have to follow  Airbnb playbook which is not very friendly to hosts. 

I have been bumped out of super host bcz of guest did not have it their way and gave me low ratings. When I called Airbnb they did nothing except tell me that after reviewing they blah blah.

Airbnb cares not so much about the hosts as much as they care about the guests.

Even the way they ask the questions to the guests about their experience forces the guests to find a fault.   I have been a guest and when it came time to review, I realize that I was actually trying to find a fault base of the questions and how they were worded. 

I have also had guests complained about having one sheet in the bed as opposed to two like the hotels.  If you want hotel service then go and pay hotel prices.  People and Airbnb have forgotten that hosting is a cheaper way for travelers .  Hosts are not in the hotel business. 

Yep the guests I have the most problems with confuse Airbnb for hotels! This is a bed and breakfast, not a resort! Some guests even say since they paid for my place they should be able to do whatever they want, like they total forget this is someone’s home or if someone is in the home! Then if you don’t agree, or confront them for breaking rules that are already in place, or ask them to do anything politely, they feel host are out of place and give bad reviews! It’s not equal both ways! 

I am sorry that you got bumped due to your guest reviews.  However, I do not understand your statement "guests complained about having one sheet in the bed as opposed to two like the hotels".  When I make a bed, there is a bottom sheet covering the mattress and a top sheet that protects the blanket or duvet cover.  The guest sleeps between the two sheets.  Are you making a bed with just a bottom sheet and no other sheet?  As a guest, I would complain that there is no top sheet.  I guess you must wash the blankets between guests.

@Lorna170  No, it's totally a thing in many places in the world to forgo the top sheet.  There's even a movement among millennials to sleep without it.  Here is only one of many, many articles on the web about it:  https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-millennials-aren-apos-t-185000102.html

It has also been discussed here more than once - https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/I-need-help-with-guests-not-sleeping-between-the-sheets/m-p...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Between-the-sheets/m-p/685852

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Bedding-set-up/m-p/1158765

There was another very long and entertaining thread that I haven't been able to find about bedding styles all over the world.  @Jessica-and-Henry0 do you remember that?

@Ann72   Well, obviously I am old school.  I make up the beds in my properties with a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a duvet in a duvet cover, and all get washed (including pillow protectors) between guests.  I guess that should I  rent an AirBnB, I shall have to bring my own sheets as I cannot sleep without the top and bottom -- and goodness knows not with any bedding item that is not washed between guests.

Oh Lord @Lorna170 I am 100% on your side!  I know I wouldn't be able to sleep without a top sheet.  I have to have both sheets, a blanket, a bedspread, two pillows, and in winter an eiderdown.  Totally old school.  My Airbnbs have all those things.  I'll have to ask my housekeeper how often the top sheet is ignored - a curious trend.

Janet989
Level 2
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica

This is interesting about the 2 sheet thing.  I've just recently noticed people are not sleeping between the sheets, we started making the beds like a turn-down service to encourage it.