I need help with guests not sleeping between the sheets.

I need help with guests not sleeping between the sheets.

How can I communicate effectively what I expect? I have heard that a solution is to get duvet covers and wash them between guests. I do not want to do that. I also do not want to assume anything based on a person's looks or language and I do not want to offend. When it is clear that they slept on top of the bedspread with another blanket on top, I need to wash a lot of bedding! And it will cause the bedspreads to wear out sooner. I am considering putting an extra charge if I find this situation, but it is a little difficult to prove beyond any doubt.

15 Replies 15
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Katherine347 I don't think adding an extra charge is a good idea. Do you check them in personally? If so, mention it casually among the other things you need to let them know. That way they won't feel offended if they know how. Also you could have house rules printed out in Chinese with explanations and just point them out, that will save you time with guests who don't speak English. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Katherine347 Turn down the top sheet over the quilt or bedspread, that way it cannot be missed that there are two sheets and that you're supposed to sleep in between them.  I've started doing this w/guests from certain cultures and while it isn't 100% successful, it works most of the time where you can tell they have slept between the sheets. 

I've done that....they still sleep between the blanket and comforter or quilt....drives me crazy!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Katherine347  Over half the world does not sleep between a bottom and top sheet. I think you are going to have to change since your guests won't. Can you imagine teaching a 50-year old how to use a bed? I know that you don't want to change the way you make up your bed, but I just think you are spitting into the wind.

I will also mention that even if your guests do sleep between the sheet, how do you know that their luggage which has rested on dirty, public sidewalks or their shoes haven't been all over that bedspread?

I am in the "absolutely" everything that their naked bodies and possessions could dirty needs to be washed between every single guest. 

You've got a point there. Thanks. That's a lot of washing, especially since I am always fully booked.

@Katherine347 wrote:

You've got a point there. Thanks. That's a lot of washing, especially since I am always fully booked.

It is a lot of laundry indeed! Consider buying some lighter weight bed covers for the summer [at least] and have 2 per bed so you aren't scrambling to do laundry between back to back bookings. If are you booked every night, maybe this investment in your sanity is an option?

And now I have to go fuss with the duvet cover that needs some spot cleaning before going for its swim in the washing machine.

I also wash and sanitize everything between guests.  I lose a day, however!

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

We feel your pain.  They’re not the only ones who’ve slept atop the comforter here either.  It has caused us a lot of extra wash we didn’t plan on for that day.

thanks for the helpful posts. Just to be clear, I only mentioned Asians to explain that culturally they must have different bedding habits than Americans. And it has been a broad spectrum who have surprised me when I went to clean - Filipino's, East Indian or Pakistani, Japanese, Chinese, Korean. I have tried the putting the sheet over the comforter trick. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I have it in my house rules too. I am going to update my rules, however, I don't want people thinking I rarely wash blankets.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Katherine347   You could also move to a more hotel style where there is just the sheets, no comforter or quilt, and a folded blanket or throw at the bottom of the bed.  I've thought of doing that, but I feel it would be too stark of a look and the bedrooms look much nicer with a patterned quilt, but that would be an option also.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Katherine347 

you have two choices: to put the duvet into the duvet cover or to tuckle them in bed every night 🙂

Allyson36
Level 2
Lake Worth, TX

Well I was going to ask what to do about people not sleeping between the sheets....but I see that it must be a pretty common occurrence.....It drives me crazy, but not worth losing sleep over.   I appreciate and enjoy reading other peoples comments about the world of Airbnb. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Maybe try hotel style with double flat sheets folded, can't explain properly but look it up. I think it's probably the best way if you have a large range of international guests. @Katherine347 

Naomi381
Level 2
Akron, OH

I am new to hosting but have noticed my guests too are not sleeping between the sheets and it drives me crazy because I am such a perfectionist about cleanliness. Between each guest my daughter and I wash up everything in the room including the bedspread, comforter,  pillows, and waterproof mattress pad.  We use a disinfectant on door knobs and light switches and steam clean the chair we keep in our guest room. Cleanliness is a major concern to us so I have felt a bit insulted that people will not sleep under the covers.  After reading through this conversation and seeing that it is happening to many others and not just my home I guess that I should stop worrying about it.