Have I been scammed?

Nikola334
Level 2
BG, Serbia

Have I been scammed?

Hello everyone,

I’m fairly new to hosting and have been doing it for the past 3 months but am thorough in my research and preparation for anything so I applied that to hosting as well. 

The issue that has prompted me to write this and ask for help and advice is a payout I haven’t been able to receive in about a month now. My first payout I received without a problem but with the second one I’ve been having all sorts of issues. It all started when I decided to switch-out my account for euros to an account for dollars since Airbnb send out dollars in the first place, I wanted to simplify things. Well first it took me a week to find a roundabout way of the site actually accepting my new payout method as nothing seemed to work, especially Airbnb Support. Then, when it was supposedly sent, it failed to reach my bank account twice and was being sent back (“the money was getting lost”). Since the bank account is in my father’s name, they even asked for his ID as the corresponding bank that they work with asked for it, I provided it. 

This is when the real fun starts. 8+ attempts at contacting Support to fix this issue or at least give me some insight as it now stated that my payout wasn’t “processing” anymore but was completed. They just reassured me that they had sent it and that was about it. Dodging any real questions I may have had, even going as far as to close my cases after my initial message, without a single reply from them. 

After a month of trying to get paid, my bank informed me that the funds “were sent to the wrong corresponding bank and said bank is refusing to accept the payment”. So here I am, left without my payout, no reply from yet another attempt at contacting Support, still hosting guests (for free essentially). 

How does Airbnb expect me to cover my costs while working for free? They didn’t have trouble charging my guests and I the commission and paying themselves, just me. I’ve contacted them regarding a different issue I had, a minor one to be honest, and they had no problem getting back to me quickly and helping me.

So why is this big issue being handled so poorly? Why are all my questions and pleas for help dodged? 

And finally, have I been scammed? 

Thank you to anyone who reads this and tries to help me, any bit of info will be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely,

Nikola

0 Replies 0