Having problems with requests for "special accommodations" and wondering how others handle it?

Mary1494
Level 2
Orrington, ME

Having problems with requests for "special accommodations" and wondering how others handle it?

So we've been hosts since ~2014 and I can truly say we had great experiences all but once in 4.5 years!  In the last several months though, I've noticed something I'd never experienced before and I'm not really sure how to **bleep** it in the bud, so to speak.  I'm getting requests that look like they're for the minimum stay (four days), but in the Inquiry, the Sender is asking me to change the minimum to 3 days to better accommodate their schedule -- this has happened several times.  The other request I have frequently is to decrease the fee OR to allow folks to book for the dates they requested, but then refund them $$$ if they decide to check out early (we have a strict refund policy).  My husband and I both work FT and it takes so much time to address each of these special requests, which I never intend to approve.  In fact, I've also had Inquiries for a certain time period, only to have the accompanying message say that they want the rental NOT for those dates, but for dates that aren't available and only indicated the dates in the request so that they could find out if I could still host them for the unavailable dates!  ARGH!  These are vagaries of the system, I think, and there's no easy resolution, because it looks like I'm turning people down when in fact, what they want is to rent dates that are either not available OR less than the minimum stay!!!  So frustrating!

I've put a note on my listing that says we cannot accommodate special requests for shorter stays or decreasing fees, but it doesn't seem to help!!!!!  I worry constantly about losing SuperHost status and want to be pro-active in my approach to this.  I'll be interested in hearing from those with similar experiences!  Mary Jude

7 Replies 7
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Mary1494  these are enquiries you are getting not reservation requests, two different things with different rules.

For enquiries all you have to do is reply to the guests message within 24hrs and nothing else.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2410/what-can-i-do-when-i-get-a-booking-inquiry

I did understand that, but then the button to accept/decline and i have to give a reason.

Thanks, btw! So sorry I didn't say "TY" previously!

Hi @Mary1494, what Jeff is saying is that you do not need to pre-approve or decline an inquiry. Just simply type a response and you're done. You can then dismiss the inquiry from your dashboard. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Understanding-Response-Rate-and-Acceptance-Rate/b...

I don't know if this will help your situation but one of the reasons I love Instant Book is because guests just book without any questions. They look at my listing, they like the photos, they can afford the price and then they're confirmed. I rarely ever get questions and if I do I answer them pretty straightforward and quickly because at that point they should be booking elsewhere.

Thank you so much for your insights — very helpful!

@Mary1494 

When I get an "inquiry" asking for something that goes against my house rules or what I provide, I usually "pre-approve" and state clearly by saying something along the lines of "the min stay is X days. I do not accept bookings shorter than this, and will not refund if you cancel and stay less than my minimum." or "I only accept 1 single adult guest and cannot host a 2nd guest regardless of age. If you book, only you will be allowed to enter my home and stay as a guest (your gf/bf/child will not be allowed to enter my home)" at the end, I add "Your questions imply you have not properly read my listing description & house rules. I am happy to host guests who can respect and abide by my house rules and as already mentioned in my listing description I do not allow any exceptions to my rules so please don't bother asking/inquiring further if what I offer does not meet your needs. If you determine my home is not a good fit with what you need and decide to book elsewhere, that is fine. You can just let the pre-approval expire." 

And for inquiries using dates the guest doesn't intend to book put put in any dates just to inquire about blocked dates...... I ALWAYS pre-approve. The guest doen't want those dates anyway so it's obvious they won't book 🙂 I have nothing to lose for pre-approving those types of inquiries. 

Mary1494
Level 2
Orrington, ME

Excellent — thank you so much for your help!