Head Strong Guest wants to do it "Her" way....

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Head Strong Guest wants to do it "Her" way....

I have self checkin for those who provide Government ID.

All others must provide ID at checkin.

I always give guests clear direction to upload their ID for the convenience of self checkin.

All guests have complied.

Today's guest hasn't 😞   

She arrives at 10:00 pm and will now have to  first  come a mile out of her way to pick up the key.

I see a bad review coming....

Plus I hope I can stay awake until she gets here!

13 Replies 13
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Good luck, @Paul154 . I will be up late for a guest tonight too. Mine didn't look at the address until 5 pm today, day of arrival, and so will not be able to make the ETA she gave me a month ago when she booked. 

Also wonders if there is anything she needs to know before she comes, since she hasn't had time to read everything. 

Have advised she reads everything now before she gets in the car. I will wait.

So how did it go, @Paul154 ? Mine was great. Turned out she was much less a worry in person than she appeared to be in the messaging. 

Happens sometimes. 

Hope it is all sunshine and lollipops for you, too. 

@Lawrene0 

My guest too turned out OK.

My guest finally sent in her ID - at the last minute. Right after she landed.

As her flight arrived very late,  I had allowed for checkin anyway.

All good.

It always surprises me that most guests do the right thing - even though they usually do.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Paul154 Since you are expecting a bad review, will you write bad review for the guest as well?

Don't you ever use a self checkin?

@Alice595 First line of @Paul154 's post is "I have self check-in for those who provide Government ID."

@Ann72 Oops! Sorry. I missed the first line. 

It seems that @Paul154 is head strong as well:-). In this case, I would have let the guest to do self checkin and check the ID on the second day. 

Our dear @Paul154 is famously headstrong.  🙂

@Alice595  You're suggesting he allow a guest to violate his check-in rules? Just because she couldn't be bothered to comply? Why should he? 

And maybe she's only staying one night. So checking her ID the following day would be a moot point.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Well,  I avoid this by not accepting guests who do not provide Government ID.  😛

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Paul154, I'm suprised you give guests the option. Upload a goverment ID or don't come is my take on it.

@Paul154 

Do your way and expect the best. Just explain that the trouble would have been avoided if the guest had done ID. Stay smiling and tell the guest that he missed the opportunity to have lower service fee for her next trip by not doing ID/does not matter if this is thrue - I am sure one day it will/.

I also often accept guests without ID - asking them to do it till the arriving time. Only one guest until now did not do it - stayed twice - and left me two excellent reviews. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Paul154  I saw that you don’t have a government verified ID loaded on your profile. I am wondering how Airbnb could allow you to request ID verification from guests.

I used to have only an email and phone number in my profile as well. Later when I requested guest to have Verified ID for instant booking, Airbnb app prompted me to upload my own ID. Otherwise, I could not tick the checkbox of government verified ID.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I don't care about Airbnb verifications, we always check in our guests in person and all of them have to show us their IDs at arrival.

Our check in time is until 19:00 🙂