Help reviewing guest

Shanah0
Level 2
Saint Lucia

Help reviewing guest

I need help from experienced hosts in reviewing guests.

I just had a group of three adults stay at my property for six nights. Though they were respectful, polite, communicative, after  they left the apartment was filthy.  They used a total of 21 towels. The ivory linen on one of the beds was stained from a substancial  red wine spill. The the stove was grungy as if it had been used for an entire month. The refrigerator as well. The floors had multiple food spills, the kitchen counters were soiled with flour and water, garbage bag leaks were all over the entrance to the unit.  It was just appalling.  

In addition to that, there were several complaints from them which weren't warranted. 

They complained that they could not get the air conditioner to work, only to realize that they did not turn on the switch. The blender didnt work, only to have it come on as soon as I pressed the button.  They wanted the garbage picked up by me, when the instructions/ house rules clearly stated to put the garbage in a bin provided at the front gate. The washer didn't work only to find that the load was almost done when I went to check. And the list goes on. I checked their reviews from previous abnb stays, and they had a total of six 5 star reviews.  I cant imagine what could have happened this time around.  I am about to give a bad review,  which is what I think they deserve. Any suggestions?

8 Replies 8
Amber279
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

This is so stressful. I guess I would be honest about things. Maybe give them feedback on the communication-too quick to communicate and not figure things out by themselves- exceptionally needy in situations others are able to handle on their own.

And be honest in the cleanliness section too. Its important that other hosts know what you went through. As a host I would seriously appreciate you being honest. You don't have to give them a 0/5 stars just maybe a 3 or 4. Some of it you can and should let go-like a filthy stove-because thats easy to clean. But if they stained your linens that is not acceptable. You need those for future guests.

Thanks Amber, I appreciate your feedback, very helpful

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shanah0 @Amber279  No way I'd give them 3 or 4 stars for cleanliness. The mess left doesn't qualify as "good" or "average"- it's a 1 or 2.

Shanah-I'm not sure what you mean by they were respectful- they obviously weren't. Nor is it respectful to keep calling you for every little thing they can't seem to figure out, although I guess some people are just basically incapable. 

As far as the towels go, I don't think you can call guests out for that- leave as many towels per person as you think reasonable and make sure to state in your listing and upon arrival how many towels you provide per guest for length of stay so they don't just use one once and throw it on the floor. Some people are just unconsciously wasteful.

I was looking after my neighbor's rental for a month while they were away- 2 guys managed to go through 17 bath towels in a week.

If you think it was 1/2 bad I trust you. 

I was just kind of offering thoughts. 

I do think contacting you about every little thing is not okay as well. 

And 21 towels is insane to me. I am making mine green. For a week two towels tops per person is reasonable. That is so much laundry. 

Stressful guests are the worst. I feel for you. 

This was indeed a lesson in hosting.  I will not have guests have access to all my linen in the future.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Shanah0 

This was a disappointing hosting experience. Guests stayed for six nights. While communication was fine, they required a considerable amount of attention from me during their stay and had difficulty operating appliances. In addition, the AirBnb required a significant amount of cleaning after their stay. I do not recommend them to future hosts. 

-0 stars all around 

Shanah0
Level 2
Saint Lucia

Wow, could not have said it better. Thanks Emily

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Or...

These guests were pleasant and friendly, but perhaps may be better suited for a hotel with 24 hour desk service and housekeeping.