Help with guest break-in

Fabiola87
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Help with guest break-in

I recently had a guest who failed to exhaust all means of communication to get my lockbox code prior to her arrival. I am a SUPERHOST and have been doing this for 3 years; I don't forget to send codes. I like to have a conversation going prior to arrival time before sending the code over. Said person, stopped communicating at 3pm, and I never heard back from her. She attempted to contact me at 11PM via airbnb text message, but I was already asleep. She then shows up at 1:50AM and breaks into my house, by jumping over the fence. She then goes to the unit and breaks into the place by going in through the window. In the morning, I sent her the code promptly, thinking she had slept in her car or something. She left by 11am that next day, even though her reservation was 3 nights; and now she's demanding a full refund because she was unhappy with the situation. I got a call from customer service, sounds like they are siding with the guest; what do you do in this case?

1 Reply 1

@Fabiola87 Explain the situation with the Customer Service agent. Show the communications (which hopefully, you have done through the message thread.

If a guests arrives at 1:50am, which I assume is way past your check-in time, G has no right to enter your premis without prior approval. If the guest left, without discussing this first with you, Airbnb must honor your payout as it was the guest who is at fault. Any possible claim from a guest must come after the guest has first intended to communicate with the host to try to come to a mutual agreement. If the guest did not do this, Airbnb cannot (and I believe they will not) take the guest's word for what occured.

Make pictures of the damage and proof of break in so you proof this and you can claim property damage costs.

I hope this helps.