Hidden Cameras..What??

Kathleen234
Level 2
Liberty, MO

Hidden Cameras..What??

I am new to Airbnb as a guest. A friend just told me that many Host use hidden cameras in their house/propterties. I have read where they are suppose to "disclose" this fact to their renters. Is there any way Airbnb checks this? And YUCK..to think I'm being watched as I snuggle with my husband watching tv. That is just creepy!!

Now I'm getting lots of people telling me they would never rent a place from Airbnb because of this issue. Isn't this an evasion of privacy? What are guest options to help in locating hidden cameras? What do I do if I find a hidden camera that was not disclosed? Call 911? The Police?

I am so second quessing this whole renting someone's house thing. Maybe I should just keep to hotels. I would like to hear from any quest who have had issues with hidden cameras please.

Just when I was getting excited about a cute place on the beach..this sucks!!

15 Replies 15
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I doubt many hosts have hidden cameras in the guest bedrooms, @Kathleen234. If I were to instal one, I would definitely do it at the entrance - you can't imagine what guests can do. If you read on in this forum, you may find out... Twice as many guests as booked, binge parties when none are allowed in the house rules... We, hosts, also indicate in our reviews for such guests that they would be better suited for hotel environment. 

Airbnb doesn't allow hidden cameras, btw. If you disclose one, you may report the host.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Kathleen234

Regardless of whether people host or not, most people I know have surveillance for entryways and yards  for homes they actually reside in. I have a peephole camera at the entrance of my home and the apartment complex I'm in has a ton of cameras all around the common areas (parking lot, play ground, rooftop garden etc.) and this is something I clearly state in my listing description. Hotels have cameras in the lobby, elevators and hallways too.

I'm not sure why some people would find surveillance cameras in entry ways or certain common areas (like a back porch or kitchen) a problem. Anyone who does would seem like they have something to hide......like sneaking dogs into a listing that does not allow pets or sneaking in a few extra friends when you are only paying for 2 people.

I seriously doubt any ABB host or hotel or traditional B&B would have cameras in bedrooms or bathrooms since this is totally and completely illegal!!!!!!

@Kathleen234, the number of hosts who have security cameras *inside* the home is very small.

What is very large is the number of news stories about hosts with hidden cameras.

They are all mainly referencing a few notorious stories about hosts who hid cameras in their homes to spy on people. (I think there was just one or two, but they were all rewritten and re-circulated endlessly in the media.)

This behavior is heinous, but has been going on since long before AirBnB existed.

People are free to use or not use AirBnB as they see fit, but the issue of hidden cameras is a poor reason to avoid AirBnB.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I have a camera outside, pointed at the entrances. There is a notice to this effect on the doors. Cameras inside are illegal, even if the guests are made aware of them.

I have not had an issue with guests complaining about the outside camera. My listing does have periods of time when it is empty and this is how I prevent intrustions and vandalism. That being said, I have also had dishonest guests but only before the camera was installed and not since then.

I will never look at the recording unless there has been a problem or I suspect a guest has not respected the rules.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kathleen234 - Almost all hotels have cameras at their enterance, parking lots, and in lobbies. Even large apartment complexes have dozens of cameras. Why is it that far off for a publicly listed Airbnb to have them? As for "hidden cameras" in private spaces, I would think that this is extremely rare and should be reported to Airbnb if a guest ever comes across this. I would not let this one in a million chance mislead me from using airbnb. If this is the mindset, you should NEVER stay in a hotel ever again after watching the Netflix documentary "Voyeur."

Kathleen234
Level 2
Liberty, MO

Ok..now it seems to me that I am being made out to be the "bad person" who asked a simple question and forwarded responses I have heard from others. I assure you I am not. And yes I understand that hotels, banks, even intersections and highways have cameras. I am not saying that is a problem. But cameras in the living room, kitchen "main areas". How are "main areas" like these allowable. So if I would like to have a romantic escapade infront of the fireplace with my husband of 26 years. I need to first make sure this is not a "main area"? The cameras in hotels do not bother me as I know they do not follow me into my room after I close the door!

If a host is so paranoid about renting that they feel the need to have cameras "inside" of the house, then why rent at all?

I understand that there has been a "few" cases of hidden cameras found. But those "few" cases gives the rest of you a bad name and makes people think twice. And as far as my "mindset" I do not need to be talked down to like I was some 18 year old wanting to throw a party in your  house.

I was also sharing the views of some of my co-workers. I work for a company of over 10k people. Infact it is the largest greeting card company in the world. I and my husband have worked there for 33 and 30 years. I have raised 5 kids. All of whom have gone to college. I know how fast the word of mouth can travel in a company as large as the one I work for.

After a colleaque mentioned to me about the articles about people finding hidden cameras. I thought I would get on here and see if I got any response from other quest who have the same fears. Instead I get bombarded with Host who are defending their right to have cameras. So you keep your cameras and paranoia and I will not rent from anyone who even hints at having a camera inside of the house. I do not go on vacation to become someone elses entertainment.

I would not say the replies I have recieved so far are very favorable to the Airbnb company. I will also be checking out other brokerage sites like rentbyowner.com,  and VRBO, etc. I do already have a house rented for next week in Galveston TX and when I get there I will be searching for any signs of cameras, and bedbugs!

I would still like to hear from any quest who have stayed in homes with any type of cameras inside.

And thank you all for your assumptions..I hope I have written this reply maybe a fraction better than my first question!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kathleen234

What makes a good story in the press is not usually the norm.  If you want horror stories to back up your assumtions, google airbnb hell.

You should also look up those stories about airbnb properties being used for illegal activities such as drug dealing and prostitution.  Not all guests are model guests and I do feel hosts have a right to protect their properties within the regulations of the law and the need I think is even higher than with any hotel as hotels have the right to ask for and copy your ID and even your credit card before the key is handed over.

Many airbnb listings are indeed like hotels with self check-in and "hosts" being professional letting companies. 

Your attitude seems a bit ignorant so perhaps imagine handing over your own home to complete strangers while you are away.

Kathleen234
Level 2
Liberty, MO

Seriously..you just called me ignorant?..I did not make any "assumtions" I was voicing a concern a friend of mine brought to my attention. And now I am being harrassed with name calling!!

If this is such a problem..the horror stories as you say..then why would you ever do this to begin with? Wow..I can't believe how defensive and rude some of these host are being. Maybe I should contact Airbnb with a complaint about this community or at least about the online bullying I am recieving for inquiring about this subject.

I will also be taking names of places I will not be traveling or houses I will let my many friends know have very rude host!

@Kathleen234

There are WAAAAAA~Y many more horror stories about guests who trash someones's home or sneak in 10+ people to a listing that allows 4 max or leave the oven on and just leave nearly causing a fire or use Airbnbs for illegal purposes than there are about "hidden cameras" in Airbnbs. And if you are really THAT  concerned about " hidden cameras" you should be more worried about public restrooms or department store changing rooms. In case of bedbugs..... IMHO if any home did have a problem I'd assume it's because a prior guest brought bedbugs with them, not because the host did something wrong. 

Despite the risks.... hosting is enjoyable and allows for a little extra income. Risks can be mitigated by screening potential guests, being on-site to greet guests as they check in or have surveillance cameras at entrances. And I want to believe the majority of people out there are decent human beings not too different from me and not out to scam me or do me any harm. 

Oh and you should also know a lot of places listed on ABB are also duplicate listings on other similar sites like VBRO or the like and people with traditional vacation rentals also have listings posted on ABB as well so thinking that renting thru other sites is in any way "safer" in terms of the potential for "hidden cameras" is...... haha 🙂 

Kathleen234
Level 2
Liberty, MO

Again I say to you..if what you say is true about the horror stories, then why would you ever risk using your house for this purpose?  Why? I just asked a question and yet I have been made feel to like a hated child. Seriously..Wow. This not a very good way to get customers. I work in an industry when customer relationship is very important.

I have never met such rude, hateful people in my life, calling me names, telling me I am ignorant. Is this the norm in your countries? To treat potential guest this way?

Maybe I should contact Airbnb with my concerns about the replies I have gotten on this thread!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kathleen234

I have more than enough happy guests, I would not want those looking for non-existing hidden cameras or ditto bed bugs. 

Hosts host for many different reasons, some as a job, some as a hobby and unnumerable reasons in-between.  But we will have to take certain measures to protect our properties and belongings. Insurance companies want proof, airbnb demand proof, a camera placed legally can provide exactly that.

Some apartment buildings may have cameras that are out of the host's control as @Jessica-and-Henry0 explains.  Assuming that most airbnb offers will have hidden cameras illegally placed, now that is the paranoid part.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kathleen234 I am sorry but the only person who is being rude on this thread is yourself.

The bottom line is that your friend is  wrong when they tell you  'that many Host use hidden cameras in their house/propterties (sp)' 

There is no evidence to support this (although I would be happy to apologise if you provide links to any research you have that shows this to be the case).

Some Airbnb and hosts who rent through other listing companies have CCTV outside their properties. Far fewer have it inside. The number who illegally inside hidden cameras are miniscule. Unfortunately there are some sad individuals who have rental properties, just as there are some sad individuals who work in hotels, who get a kick out of doing this.

Whether you choose to believe this or not is up to you.

I am not sure why you have lots of people who say they wouldn't rent through Airbnb because of this issue. It is not more prevelant in an Airbnb than it would be in any other listing company or those who rent their properties out directly.

You are correct. You sound as if you would be much more comfortable staying in a hotel.

For the hotel, I understand that security cameras are installed for security reasons and are aimed at the entrance, parking lot and lobby. But I think the camera inside the room is absolutely not allowed, especially if you don't know it. You have good reason to sue the hotel if you find some  hidden camera https://www.cuou.net/covert-cameras.html. This scared me.

For the hotel, I understand that security cameras are installed for security reasons and are aimed at the entrance, parking lot and lobby. But I think the camera inside the room is absolutely not allowed, especially if you don't know it. You have good reason to sue the hotel if you find some hidden cameras. This scared me.

if you want to know something about the hidden cameras, you can check it out.https://www.cuou.net/covert-cameras.html