Hike in energy prices

Hike in energy prices

Energy prices are hiking, and unfortunately it seems that there is no possibility on airbnb to set a locally paid charge for e.g. electricity usage based on meter. In other words: airbnb prices are all inclusive, which is absurd, absolutely absurd, and does not at all contribute to motivate guests to save on energy (and water).

There were some other posts on this topic, and one of the solutions was to enter an average usuage for a certain season into the price. That does not really crack it since a) nobody can predict energy prices for "tomorrow" in todays world, and b)  an average punishes guests that mindfully consume energy and incentivizes those that waste it. So, no solution.

What solution does airbnb offer to assure that their prices stay competitive, however also assuring that hosts can protect themselves from over/misuse of energy and resulting financial loss?

Reco: add section to pricing where energy cost can be charged locally and extra to the airbnb price, based on real usage (meters) and actual supplier prices...all no magic, could be added to the system in a few minutes since it does not interfere with airbnb pricing.

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Agnieszka67 

It is not that easy to charge for the energy used. For example: accommodations like a room with shared facilities  can not be "metered".

If an accommodation can be metered, you need to ask the guest for a:

- Pre-payment for estimeeted energy.

- Check (and sign) for meter readings at start/end of stay

- Supply guest with actual energy rates.

- Repay or charge guest for energy used via resolution centre.

Thanks, yes, that is doable, and some seem to do so. However:

1. This info we need to sink somewhere in our communication to guests BEFORE they book & pay on airbnb...such stuff should not come as a "welcome present" @ check-in

2. It does not look professional - here "official" airbnb booking & price with all details and there a "manual posthum add-on" somewhere in the text or later communication.

There are portals that allow to clarify such cost items right at first guest contact on the portal. Usually, under pricing section listed and the host picks if

- included in airbnb price

- locally charged flat per night with stated rate

- locally charged depending on metered (!) usage with stated rate

airbnb already has a section for additional cost items, however, no item like electricity & Co. ...very easy to add and does not interfere with airbnb billing system.

Imagine somebody has a sauna that guests may use during their stay:

- Prevoiusly, quite easy to calculate energy cost and include an average into the airbnb price. With previously low energy prices sauna usage got "lost in the roundings", so even non-sauna-users were not "punished" overproportionally.

- Now, energy cost of a single sauna usage may add up for the host to 10-15% of the airbnb price / night. So hosts have to either eliminate sauna usage from their offer, or increase airbnb price by that % (+ that % on the airbnb fee) to not end up at a loss.

The solution as outlined above could be easy & transparent as outlined above...as long as it is not implemented, unfortunately your proposal will be the only way to go...

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Agnieszka67 

I totally agree with you electric has always been expensive in Thailand now it's just gone up, 

My argument is the amount that is wasted because here we need A/C but guest insist on leaving the windows and doors wide open, The garden doesn't need cooling down,

Going out for the day and leaving it all on.

Most people here in Phuket do charge extra and we used to do but we started getting negative reviews over the electric bill, we didn't hide it, it would be in a couple of places in capitol letters and when the guest arrives they would sign our contract and it was on there, while checking them in we would say lets read the meter then I would make a note on the contract, so they definitely knew. some would take notice we could tell by the meter at the end of their stay they had been turning it off.

In the end we increased our rate to include the electric and save the arguments.

As you say if somewhere in the house rules along with other extra fees would be a good idea.

I remember one villa we had it had a jacuzzi pump in the pool that would get left on day and night and usually that is a bigger pump than what runs a pool, my husband disconnected it and we never mentioned it again. Pool lights are another I remember we had to put timers on them otherwise they would just get left on, 

Agree and thanks for relevant examples from other climate zones :-)))

Finally, we all need to accept that electricity, oil, water, gas & Co. are valuable, ending, and environmentally harmful resources. And those who use them mindfully shall be rewarded, others "punished". Thus fmpov, "all-inclusive" is a concept of yesterday...surprising that in airbnb with all their trendscouts etc nobody woke up yet...

Recently and at the same time we had two guests, a local one and somebody from a northern European country. At outside temps of 22°C with lowest at night 12°C

- the local guests managed to turn on electric radiators all day (temp set by them for 23°C), not using the eco fireplace (incl. free fireplace wood from our own forest), and perm-airing the premises through open windows.

- the skandinavian guests used the ecofire fire place for eve & morning comfort, no use of electric radiators, and airing the premises via "quick & bold" method, i.e. shortly all doors & windows open.

And these two shall pay the same price?

@Agnieszka67 

How about Airbnb becoming more Eco Friendly? They should be the ones pushing the boat out. 

They have the resoarses to do it

Correct, they would have the power to contribute changing guests' waste behaviour...however, as it seems the word "Eco" does not exist in airbnb...spontaneously (without browsing every single page), no hint on the corporate www... if you put "eco" in the search function, you get results like "economy" and "ecenomic"...it is an Amercian company - I guess they will go Eco when there is $$$ to make

Agnieszka67_0-1662292263721.png

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone @Agnieszka67 

Thank you for your comments on this. I know this is an older post already, but I wanted to let you know that we’ve recently started a topic regarding energy costs and we’re collecting tips on how to manage them. We’d love to get your input too, so please don’t hesitate and come share your experiences and advice!

You can find my post here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Has-your-Hosting-adapted-due-to-the-energy-crisis/td-p/1...

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Mike2791
Level 2
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom

I have posted this on another thread as this is real issue and will 'kill' the community concept as the few who kick the backside out of trust will drive away/'bankrupt' hosts - here is my post of 9hrs ago on that other thread:

I am late to the thread and have just started hosting via AirBnB (we have other rentals elsewhere) - I have been concerned for a while about how to balance having a fair 'all in price' and dealing with profligate users. It came to a head this week as a guest ramped up the gas heating to full - heating the building to 30degC - then went out for 10 hrs a day having set the thermostat to 24/7 - so the boiler was just on all the time. The cost of this  I dread to think.

Basically I think and do not know how to do this, is that AirBnB need to add an additional section on energy usage - there are three elements to this to my mind:

- we are all (I hope) trying to do what we can to address climate change - home heating certainly in the UK is a major contributor - so I trust guests would want to be supportive of all our futures

- there is a fair usage quota - varies but basically if one is not paying the bill, then it is grossly unfair and frankly I find it offensive that a guest almost throws someone else's money out the window - the concept of; if you pay the bill you are a lot more careful is true in many aspects of life, then finally

- how to communicate and codify this as policy such that one can say something along the lines of - you get X kwhrs in the price - to keep warm, cook, light etc - if one goes over that number by say a margin of 10% - then the consumer/guest pays - this is where AirBnB needs to adapt its listing details

My current stance is that if I get another guest who repeatedly ramps up the heating to max - changes the thermostat to 24/7 then goes out all day - leaving the boiler slaving away heating an empty property to as I noted 30degC (which is arguably way in excess of comfort levels) I will ask them to leave as it is in my view a gross abuse of trust and that level of abuse invalidates the 'contract'.

Anyway for what it is worth a few thoughts floated to see if there are others who have had such bad experiences and there is room for policy changes within the AirBnB listing.

You nailed the problem to the point, unfortunately also driven by bad experience. Most guests use energy carefully and reasonably, but there are the others...

We have solved the issue now by adding the following under section House Rules / Additional Rules:

For hygienic reasons, please take your own bathroom and beach towels! You will receive the house rules and other travel documents by e-mail after booking or in advance if you wish. If you would like to bring your dog, please let us know before you make a booking. Electricity is being charged locally based on your consumption & Energa pricelist, until 31.12.2022 0.70 PLN / kWh (ca. 0,15 € / kWh).

Very transparent & fair. This is in place since three, four weeks and so far no issues, neither with no. of reservations nor with later discussions 🙂

Agree that airbnb should take a lead here and make mindful use of valuable resources a topic...in the end, it will increase bookings because base price can be lowered and caring guests will be rewarded...the "lazy" ones will simply pay extra for their needs 😉

Response by mistake posted twice, so now blanked here

Great! We  have done almost all possible to reduce energy cost to the minimum: well isolated house, LED bulbs, solar panels, firewood from own grown forest, and much more. Next week, electricity meters will be installed and guests who prefer switching on electric heaters instead of -in rent price included- fireplace incl. firewood- will have to pay for their energy consumption. We believe this is very fair - those using local resources and using electricity with caution will pay significantly less than guests just pressing the buttons. This will also avoid that "careful" guests will pay through a higher average price for energy consumption of "laissez-faire" guests. "All-inclusive" is a concept of yesterday, at the expense of nature and careful guests.