Holiday Pirates

Siobhan112
Level 2
Northlew, United Kingdom

Holiday Pirates

I have had an unauthorized facebook ad go out from holidaypirates. According to them they are partners with Airbnb. It has caused complete chaos with having to deal with so many bookings, enquiries and declines i have had to issue. What can I do to stop this happening again? They never inform me when they are doing it and they say this is what i signed up to with Airbnb ts&cs. They are using my photos- I just feel violated.

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Siobhan112 

"Holiday Pirates"... what's in a name

The terms state that they can do this, but only if they are a licensed partner from Airbnb

Look at:

https://www.holidaypirates.com/tag/airbnb

If you continue with their ads, you end up on the official listing at Airbnb.

I guess they get a fee for each booking or view (Affiliate marketing)

Best regards,

Emiel

Siobhan112
Level 2
Northlew, United Kingdom

Thank you- yes, I've seen their website and everything to do with them. Are they a licensed partner? and how the hell do I get out of this- I didn't sign up for any of this 😞

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Siobhan112 

I looked at menu "partners" on their website, but no further info. This is the community, only Airbnb itself can give you more information if it is legal.

Maybe it helps if your listing does not show up in general search engines.

It can be switched off in your account.

best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 how do you turn it off, can’t find it on app

Siobhan112
Level 2
Northlew, United Kingdom

a bit after the horse has bolted but...thank you- great idea. Thank you for caring 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Siobhan112 I don't understand - Can you explain for numptees like me what is going on here?

By the way, you do know that you don't have to accept or decline an enquiry - you only need to answer the question posed.

Hi Mike & Jane,

I had a facebook ad go out through holidaypirates which basically advertises your place, with all your photos and content, without your knowledge and then suddenly you get an influx of instant books, enquiries and just silly questions. When I asked holidaypirates what they were playing at they came back with- tough- this is what you signed up with , with your airbnb account- they are a partner apparently (although i can't find anything about it and Airbnb support are not answering my messages. My question was can they really do this? I know I should not be looking a gift horse in the mouth but ads like this mean all sorts of people come out of the woodwork and its very difficult answering every single message when I'm mid high season doing changeovers. I had 25 bookings and god knows how many inquiries in one day- that is not normal. I now have nothing left for this year and over 150 nights booked for next. I work at a different pace and like to get to know who is staying so I can vet them of sorts. it was just bedlam.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried contacting them on their social media and asking them not to do this @Siobhan112 

Seems ridiculous that they won't stop when you have asked them not to promote your listing

Siobhan112
Level 2
Northlew, United Kingdom

I have- that's how I know they are 'partner's with Airbnb- here's part of the convo- they were none too friendly either...

Ahoy there matey! Thanks for your feedback. As Airbnb is our partner, the “deal” publishing is never unauthorised. In T&Cs, when you upload your property to the Airbnb services, you basically agree that 3rd party can share it, but of course if you don’t wish your property being advertised on our website, we will pass it on our content team.

You sent
2 days ago
I do not wish my property to be advertised and I did not sign up for this with Airbnb. What sort of company does this without informing the listing owners first? esp when i had written to you last year at the same time telling you the same thing. You cause utter chaos with your meddling. please desist.

Fri 10:44

Holidaypirates
sent
a day ago
Ahoy there matey! We already explained that in our previous message ~ when you become an airbnb host and upload your property to their services you agree to Airbnb’s T&C according to which a 3rd party can share it. We passed your feedback internally. Thanks!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Siobhan112 Hmmm, I see the problem. I guess a good proportion of hosts would love that to happen to them and an equal sized proportion hate it. Even if they are not Airbnb partners I guess they can do what they like with the data you post publicly on Airbnb.