Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

Answered!

Homeowners' Insurance - Help!

I have been setting up my home to rent two bedrooms through AirBnB.

Today I talked to my insurance company about adding any coverage that would be needed for this use, and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that if I do AirBnB, They Will Not Cover Me At All.  They assured me that since my policy had just renewed I would still be covered for almost a year, but that they would not renew me, and they would not pay claims related to AirBnB.

They were also unable to provide me with any suggestions of companies that Would cover my home, and so far I have not been able to turn anyone up.

I searched the user forums, and found that this appears to be a fairly common problem, and that there are numerous horror stories of people having their insurance cancelled after just -asking- about AirBnB.  A few of them appear to have lost their mortgage as a result.  The only suggestions I saw were in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, which does not help me much in the United States.

I called AirBnB support (after considerable effort finding a phone number), and was informed by the agent that she "Never heard of that kind of a problem before". Apparently, she does not read the community forums.  The agent promised to escalate the question to her supervisor, but I have heard nothing yet.

Needless to say, I want to get this taken care of, since it appears that there is a reasonable chance of losing my home over it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Susanne48
Level 7
Washington, DC

William,
I went thru the same scenario regarding insurance companies. I found a bed and breakfast insurance company and used them for about 6 months but it cost me almost $250 more a month than what I was paying with my home insurance. I went to an AirBnb meeting in Washington DC( my location) and expressed my concern and frustration and one of the hosts there said she has insurance thru Peers.org which is insurance for shared economy. They cover Uber, home away, And AirBNb and the cost is only $30 a month. You keep your regular home insurance. This insurance is an extension policy. I can give you more info. If you need it.

View Best Answer in original post

750 Replies 750

@Stephanie229 ~ Thank you!  Yes, would you please share with me the agent who understood so well the situation?  I would like to get busy getting right with insurance.  

@Rebecca193 - David is only licensed in WA. He said to look for a Farmer's agent - or an agent who works with Foremost as an underwriter. I believe it's a Specialty Dwelling policy with the sub product being Vacation and Short Term Rental policy. The default on Personal Property for this policy is $1,000. You'll want to change that - it doesn't increase the overall price much. Rule of thumb, he said, is $10k per bedroom for personal property in the home. I combined this policy with my auto and he is looking into the liability policy - this one may be a bit more expensive given the rental. I can let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Stephanie, I'm in Olympia also and having issues with coverage. Can you provide me with your agent information please? 

Laura

Hi, Laura ~

David is great! Here's his info:

https://agents.farmers.com/wa/olympia/david-stoddert?Source_Indicator=AP&_ga=1.178313124.1015163469....

He understands Airbnb, and is able to find a plan that will work - he pretty much matched my price with State Farm. SF would not cover Airbnb, so it was a different plan, but pricewise, it was comprable. And I feel very comfortable with my coverage.

Don't know if you'll see this, but I would love your Farmers agents name.  We already use Farmers, but it would be great to know about an agent that already understands Airbnb.  We're in Wa.

Just got covered via Proper for LESS than I was quoted for renters insurance from USAA, including coverage for our adjacent barn (second structure)   Very, very, very, (one more time) very happy!

Laura678
Level 4
Boston, MA

Hello! I had the same problem with Commerce insurance, and solved it by switching to Lloyd's. Also, there's a company called "Propel" (in a prior post I think it was misidentified as "Proper") which we could have used if we hadn't had dogs - which we do. They have a dog exclusion (even though our dogs are tiny.) 

In Massachusetts, our contact is Paul Breen and Northeast Insurance.

Good luck.

Laura

I live in Vermont and found out that they do not operate here.  Glad to hear Vemont Federal does.  I will try them 

Kathleen 

Opps I meant to say Vermont Mutual 

I was turned down by both Vermont Mutual and State Farm, although State Farm said they are working on a policy for my situation which may be completed by next year.  I rent a room in my house when I am home.   They recommended me an other agency.  They are looking at a compley called Quaker Special Risk.  Sounds expensive 

Hi kathleen.  Did you find anything in vermont?  I am having the same problem.

Emily140
Level 10
St Helena, CA

Looks like I'm the only one in California.  I'd love advice for CA policies if any lurkers.

I am (was) insured with Travelers.  I just joined AirBnb and took in 3 (grand total = 3) guests (for grand total 13 nightes in 2017 and I had one weekend in 2016) before the huge storms this year took out a tree that smacked the side of my guesthouse.  I am 20 feet away.  So I am here, I give people their privacy but no wild partying is going on that's for sure, and I agree with an earlier poster that my place is in the best shape ever, EXTRA maintenance done, and inspected constantly, so these insurers are fully missing.the.point. 

Anyway, never occurred to me that Travelers would seize upon the Airbnb listing (they don't even know there were only 3 guests, only 13 nights rented) to deny ANY AND ALL COVERAGE of this guesthouse that is primarily my space but occassionally shared.  They claim the Do Not Cover Other Structures Rented or Held for Rental.  None of which applies.  (more on the definition of rental later).  They sent out an adjustor from Missouri (the "catastrophe team" because all local agents busy with flooding and severe storms this winter); he commented it's just the sort of place that he'd like to stay with his wife if he visited wine country.  Had I not volunteered that I have done AirBnb hosting, and asked if that rate would be used in determining my "loss of use" (since Travelers forces you to have a huge amount - mine is $128,000), it would not have been an issue.  No guest was here when the tree hit, and clearly the damage was storm damage and not a rental-related liability.  Define Renter.  That's my position.  I'm hiring a lawyer, if this has to go to the Supreme Court, I'm in for the ride, because we think this is truly a Bad Faith situation--it's not like a renter pushed over the tree or contributed in ANY WAY to the damage.  Nor did any guest increase the exposure on this property since liability coverage during their presence is covered by AirBnb.

Please be aware that, at least in California, the terms "rental" and "renter" are defined by the CA insurance code; these are situations documented in written rental agreements where the renter has very definite rights.  Which is exactly why most of us hosts don't do long term rentals (not because we don't believe in renter's rights, but because this is primarily our HOME, and we want to keep it that way but share when it suits us, not create tenancy rights for someone else). 

My point is:  RECOGNIZE THAT YOUR HOMEOWNERS POLICY WILL NOT COVER EVEN NORMAL HOMEOWNERS POLICY LOSSES --they will use AirBnb as an excuse to deny you.  Until someone sets a precedent case.  I'll do my best!

Travelers by the way, tried to renew me--proving its a corporate bureaucracy where one hand doesn't know what the other is doing--sent me a renewal just a few weeks ago, right in the middle of the denial process.  No increase in my premium ($1100), no cancellation.  But who would want to do business with these people!!!!  So I didn't renew.  I thought about dropping the "Other Structure" and renewing without coverage on it, but plays too much in their hands for the lawsuit.  That is first and foremost MY guesthouse (my own house is 700sf, the guesthouse is my second bedroom and second bathroom, occasionally hosting AirBnb as well as friend/family guests).

To respond to @Angela0 earlier, right now from my experience I don't think hosting AirBnb guests without insurance to cover the liability is "playing with fire."  I think paying insurance companies any premiums whatsoever is playing with fire--more like flushing your money down the drain.  I'm half a mind to pay off what's left on my mortgage and go without insurance at all.  If I had the $20,000 I have paid since I bought the place.... Look, ski resorts have insurance.  Restaurants have insurance.  B&B's have insurance.  People with ROOMMATES have insurance.  This is just fear and obstinance in an old-fashioned protected industry that treats consumers no better than United Airlines does.  They pay off lobbyists and they know how expensive it is to sue them for a claim to get paid, so they are taking advantage, and hiding behind "We don't have enough years to determine the actuarial risk."  Well, take a shot at it, set a policy--I like the sound of these policies with parameters - owner on site or not, number of days, maximum income etc..  Brokers are worse; mine collected a commission and says, "I tried to explain your structure has two levels and the damaged level has never been rented, I think that's a critical point, but they just wouldn't take my calls."  And THAT process dragged out for six weeks, with promises of this and that "in a few days" all along the way.  This has been living hell for me.  And the only bright spot in my days are when my fun AirBnb guests arrive.  The damaged structure does have two separate levels - there's no damage to the part that is rented.  And they STILL denied ANY coverage of the never-been-rented damaged floor.

So, my broker's office suddenly sent a policy for $2500 (2.5x the cost) from Lloyd's of London.  I don't want to work with this broker who just deferred to his insurer for two months of hell, so I'm not taking that either. I want someone I can talk to about the exact details or I'll take my chances with these nice guests.  Yes, I have no insurance right now, and guests coming next week!  But let's face it, I had no insurance before; I just paid monthly so a Traveler's exec could build a wine collection. 

I will report back what I find.  I'm calling:

Chubb - a friend with a beach house vacation rental in CA uses them.

Farmer's - asking about the Business Pursuit on Premises

State Farm - asking about Option10

Square One - although I think that was Canada

Proper/Propel? - although most seemed dubious

I do think AirBnb should put up a page with links, by State, to insurance services that offer appropriate services.  Huge referral base if you ask me - they could probably get $ on every click.  So ridiculous to not be open about it.  Even the IRS has this covered.  H&R Block has a wonderful little flowchart you can search and download online to help you determine if your AirBnb income and expenses should be reported on SchC or SchE (I'm a CPA, and I found it very straightforward and helpful).  Farmers and Uber have this all covered.  My cousin who occasionally drives for Uber said they set up a little stand for the Farmers agent to write policies to fill in the gap for the ride share service; all set up where the car inspections are done to make sure their drivers are informed.  Instead of silence, AirBnb needs to head off trouble by being transparent.  It's insane all of us are desperately reaching out to each other.  BUT THANK YOU.

If you're reading, AirBnb I will take the job.  I will do the research, post the links, keep the public informed and particpate in presentations to help you guys be more transparent in supporting your hosts.

Lastly, FWIW, I called AirBnb Customer Service, the gal was very helpful and sent me links to the actual policies for the Host Protection and Host (Coverage?) programs.  THE LIABILITY IS PRIMARY.  You don't need homeowners insurance for it --a few mistaken posts above.  But obviousy the Host coverages start and stop when guests arrive and leave.  Wouldn't have helped me when a tree hit my house in a storm.

I'm furious how I was treated by Travelers but again, I will echo a voice above who said let's seek out and support providers of service in the modern world who recognize that hosts are responsible homeowners, let's support them, and pull your business from the arcane plans that act like we're breaking bad and dealing illicit drugs.  

Sorry to rant, hope it helps someone else.

Emily - I am totally in agreement!  You have a valid reason to rant.   Let me know if you make any progress.    

I did have one agent tell me that the "standard"  homowners policy allow paying guests in your house for up to 42 nights/6 weeks a year.  But I offer my room more like 75 nights.    I am still looking.

Kathleen in Vermont

Kathleen, did you find coverage? I'm in a similar situation renting 1 private bedroom while residing in the home. Any suggestions appreciated. 

@Kathleen207, I saw your response... fantastic you connected with Vermont Mutual. A local agent said they don't cover Airbnb on the Cape.  Did you inform agent you're renting on Airbnb or just renting a room? Are you limited to #nights, guests, etc. with the B&B rider?