Honest reviews of a bad guest

Michelle234
Level 2
Port Coquitlam, Canada

Honest reviews of a bad guest

I have hosted on this platform for over 3 years.   I have noticed that there is quite a delima about hosts not leaving an honest review for a bad guest.    I would like AIRBNB to consider the following..... If they wish hosts to leave honest reviews for bad guests, then they have to be prepared to incur the cost of protecting our property  by replacing at their cost front door locks  with combination locks and a security camera system installed .  As a host,  I am not going to re-key the front door lock everytime I get a nutbar guest or someone who is unstable and has had access to the key for my front door.   I would rather not leave a review at all.   It is my professional opinion that  Airbnb should show on the guests' profile the amount of reservations that they have booked on the platform.  i.e. 10.   If there is only 2 reviews out of 10 reservations, that is enough to tell the next host that the guest is not ideal.  So if Airbnb management is reading this message, and you want me to leave an honest review for a bad guest, please install security cameras at the front of my house and change my front door lock to a combination instead of key system.  To the hosts who are complaining about the lack of poor reviews, wait until you host someone who is struggling with drug withdrawl, is anti social and paranoid. 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If this is a key concern why don't you get an electronic lock linked through Airbnb to guest mobiles and check in/check out times and then this wouldn't be an issue that would prevent you from leaving an honest reviews.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You make a good point, @Michelle234.  While I have had a few annoying guests, I have never had a guest that I was concerned in terms of safety.  Are the guests you are concerned about local and can come back to threaten you?  Did these guests have only positive reviews?  Given the high number of guests you have hosted and all the great reviews, I was wondering if you are experiencing an increase in troublesome guests.

I  think a bit of a work around to the flat out negative review is for you to give a thumbs down review without a description.  Or you give a rating of 3 with a very unenthusiastic statement like "guest x stayed in my home for 3 days".  Other hosts will pick up on that.  Also, as I am sure you know, you can flag the profile and hope that either the behavior is so terrible Air BNB will remove them or there will be multiple complaints that will result in the same removal.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Michelle234. I’m inclined to agree with @Linda108‘s comments or @Helen3‘s option.

I personally don’t believe locks need to be changed: for the likelihood and need for this, would be quite rare! In my personal opinion, the need for lock security & safety would implement greater responses as a host.

If the concerns were that dire, I would firstly be giving a guest less the three stars, to block them; and secondly, I would “report” them to Airbnb. If they were seriously a worry, I’d have already contacted Airbnb to have them cancel the guest, or I’d have contacted the police. 

The only time this might raise an issue is if you host locals. Something which isn’t the norm for me.