Host asking for picture of our passports

Afi2
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Host asking for picture of our passports

My trip is in 6 days to Medellin Colombia  and my host is requiring i send  a picture of I and my partners passports. They said they needed it to register us on the immigration website. We are a little uncomfortable about it. Is this normal?

3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Afi2 this is a requirement in Ohrid also. We must report a temporary place of stay to the police station, the fines are enormous if an inspector comes and we have unreported tourists present. And also the cards we give to our tourists from the police station are required when they leave at the border, without that they will have to pay fine. Maybe check the local laws, it is required in many places. 

Gaspar-J0
Level 2
Cartagena, Colombia

I host in Colombia. Never heard of anything like that before, if only the host needs to send you the proper address for the access cards when you arrive at the airport and may request your passport details when you arrive to keep them in a list. Beware

I have an Air BnB property in Medellin Colombia. Because most units in Medellin are in apartment buildings and are run by administration companies with security personnel, they need your identification. This security personnel  protect your security as a resident of the building. The normal identification for foreigners is their passport identification. Some require a copy of the passport and some require just the passport name and number. All for your protection. You don't want a stranger to enter the building and possibly enter your apartment. Hotels in most parts of the world also require your identification.