Host asking for too much personal information

Wendy798
Level 1
Schaumburg, IL

Host asking for too much personal information

My host for Italy is asking for too much personal information, is this allowed? Birth place, current address, passport number, it is also through a separate link not part of airbnb

3 Replies 3
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Wendy798  Be careful far too many scams during summer if u have the link to the ads post it so some of the hosts can look if the real or fake 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wendy798 @Marie82 

in Italy as well in Croatia and some other countries all tourists have to registrated at the police.

Hotels and private hosts are obligated to do it for all their guests including children and infants.

Personal information required are:

1. name and surname
  2. document type: (passport, driving license or ID)
  3. document number
  4. nationality
  5. country of residence
  6. date of birth
  7. place of birth (country and city)
  8. gender
  9. the actual address (not obligated in Croatia any more)
  10. is it personal visit or with an organized group

we take it at arrival during check-in if all members of the group arrive at the same time, if not then they have to send us a photo of their IDs via WhatsApp or email in advance.

If someone doesn't want to show us their ID then we are not obligated to host him.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Wendy798   It is mandatory in many European countries for a host to register their guest within 24 hours of arrival.   This is often done through a separate Website, not Airbnb.     I am German, and I know it has to be done in Germany, Italy, Spain and other countries.  See also the link below.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-asking-for-passport-copies/td-p/120535

PS: when you book a hotel here in the US or anywhere else in the world, you have to show ID which contains ALL of the information you mentioned.