Refunding guests' airbnb service fee

Von3
Level 4
Boston, MA

Refunding guests' airbnb service fee

Hi all, so recently the building next to us got sold and they started doing loud construction. We notified our guests for the next three months and mentioned our free cancellation policy. So far only a handful canceled their trip. I would like to make these canceled guests whole by paying for the airbnb service fee that did not get refunded to them by airbnb. However, I do not know how much they paid in service fee-- the last time I tried calculating, the percentages were all over the place. Has anyone had the misfortune to go through something like this, any suggestions to making my canceled guests whole? What would you do?

3 Replies 3
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Von3  Ring customer service, they will fall over themselves to help, and absolutely love you for giving guests full refunds.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

Personally I wouldn't refund the service fee and actually some of them might have had it refunded already.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Von3   Why for the love of god, would you want to let airbnb keep their fees and pay guests for them out of your own pocket?  I'm sorry, that's crazy.  Call airbnb and tell them the situation and see if they will refund the fees.

Von3
Level 4
Boston, MA

Turns out it fell under extenuating circumstances so they were able to get the service fees back!

@Mark116 , I knew it was a crazy idea, I just felt bad after picturing myself in guests' shoes.